Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Here is one of mine called to house with a split load fuse board RCD keeps tripping out 6 s/o later found a large slug in the back of the s/o NICE

All of the above!

PLUS

Latest one was nusiance tripping, called to a house where the downstairs ring kept tripping.

On talking to the house owner he informed me he had ' removed an electric fire and ever since then if you walked near the TV everything cuts out! '

I took the cover off the FCU and to my disbelief he had just pulled all the wires out and rolled them up and tucked them back into the metal back box!

A quick fix, then asked about any other DIY attempts. tested circuit....All ok and left, still cant quite believe a fairly intelligent chap being so stupid!

CBW

I have quite few list from USA side and some are pretty nutty.

Here one
Customer called me to find out why keep blowing fuses out every time the sump pump kick on .,,

found snakes in the pump no crap about it !!:eek:

Other service call .,

Customer compain the lights get bright and dim all over the house { remember in USA we have split single phase btw } so the customer did call the power company and they say their side is good nothing is loose so they told them to call the electrician so they got a hold of me I say ok I comming over and take a look .,,

check the main switch good .,,
check the netural good .,,
check the earth oh oh where is the earth connection :confused:
did do little more deeper digging and found water heater is shorted to earth and cause the earth conductor get frizted up btw yeah this is alum conductor { the USA code do not allow alum conductor for earth connection for safety reason} and to make it worst the next door house they have open netual :eek:
all the netrual current was running thru the copper water pipe that how it got burnt up !

France side .,

customer called me about the RCD failure ok., look at it found a mouse got between the active and earth conductor and replace it and fix the conductors up and seal up the holes good so the mouse can not get inside again.

Merci, Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

I got called to a house to rectify a cooker circuit that had tripped and stopped working. Traced the fault all the way back to inside to cooker only to find an electrocuted mouse between live and earth.........nice!

Hi sorry need some advice. The bathroom in my lower ground floor flat has underfloor heating. the main fuse switch keeps tripping to it. sometimes this is immediate, sometimes it stays for a couple of minutes and then trips. Any idea? do you think the fuse just needs replacing or could there be a bigger probelm with the dimplex heaters in the underfloor?
any help appreciated.

Called to a job that sockets were tripping the RCD.
after inspection, found that cables had been selo-taped together ( live to live , neutral to neutral etc ) under the floorboards and were arcing.
Builder did not have proper junction boxes etc to make correct extension to existing ring !!!!!
"Should have used maybe different tape" was the reply by the customer when I showed her what had happened !!
Cookoo !!! Cookoo !!!!!

Called to a job that sockets were tripping the RCD.
after inspection, found that cables had been selo-taped together ( live to live , neutral to neutral etc ) under the floorboards and were arcing.
Builder did not have proper junction boxes etc to make correct extension to existing ring !!!!!
"Should have used maybe different tape" was the reply by the customer when I showed her what had happened !!
Cookoo !!! Cookoo !!!!!

hahahaha sellotape!

Hi Dowsett,

Sounds very interesting. I would suggest you have the installation checked. You say that the main switch keeps tripping out and sometimes this is immediate, sometimes afetr a couple of minutes.
I would be interested to learn if it has an RCD and if this is what is being tripped. If it is then it would suggest that it is possibly an earth leakage issue which should be rectified.
As it happens over a couple of minutes also then there is an issue which is time related and this could suggest a fault occurring after the element in the floor has heated.
It would be best for you to consider employing a qualified electrician who is familiar with underfloor heating to check out the continuity and insualtion resistance of the system, having taken appropriate precautions for what is connected.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes
Rex

I got called to a house to rectify a cooker circuit that had tripped and stopped working. Traced the fault all the way back to inside to cooker only to find an electrocuted mouse between live and earth.........nice!

Just out of interest, is IP2X or IPXXB large enough for a mouse to get into ??

called to a house where sockets "going on and off".. found that a previous house extension some ten years ago, had piggy-backed a radial into the existing ring mcb. Final result being loose connection and almost a fire from the c.u.
Melted insulation and burnt mcb...!
however the other horror story is the bathroom lights powered off the old shower circuit 6mm cable, and still installed via 45amp mcb..!!!

Had one ages ago. Split load board change. Wall lights in the lounge kept tripping the RCD, the lights not being on that side did cause some head scratching.
On further investigation it turned out he'd run T&E from the light switch. Obviously no neutral. Solution? Borrow one from the socket behind the wall! :rolleyes:

Still occasionally find a shower or cooker wired into the lights with 30A fuse wire in a 3036! :eek:

My Mother wanted to know why 4 particular downlighters out of 30 downlighters keep blowing their bulbs.

Took them out to find the joist drilled almost all the way through, browned/singed wood.

Why oh why would you fit NON fire rated downlighters INSIDE a joist?????

Attachments

• k.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,785

A good few yrs ago my dad asked me to look at his immersion heater circuit kept blowing a fuse, strange i thought he doesnt have one.

Checked it all out, turned out the landlord had installed a shower off this circuit, but to my horror it,had been taken from a jb in the loft and extended in 6mm T&E. From 1.5mm feeding from the consumer unit.

The landlord did get it done properly, after i mentioned court of law, etc etc. funny how stuff like that works.

Last edited:

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net