Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Slipped up there, forgot to take an after-shot picture but it’s a Merlin Gerin thing of beauty now…lol
The thing is, I’m sure the boss will go mental when he sees the paperwork for it as I’m sure he hasn’t priced for it. What he doesn’t know is that I cut the whole thing out as it was. There was plenty of slack on the cables in the ceiling void. When he starts shouting, I will just nip to the van, get it out and plonk it on his desk. Followed by the words “ You wanted it tidied up, go ahead, fill your boots” :biggrin:
And don’t go feeling sorry for him. He’s got plenty of money and he will find a way of claiming it back.

Last edited:
One full day of fault finding

RCD tripping, put a test on it and found it was faulty, replacement still tripping, found water in the downstairs lighting circuit, still tripping, found a bees nest in the loft open connectors covered in honey, still tripping, found water in the upstairs inline extract fan printed circuit board. Some days are very tough!

Customer had moved into house six months before, in the spring. Didn't really use heating much until following winter, but couldn't get heating or hot water using the controller - only by manually switching on at the boiler. Eventually the controller appeared to die completely, so I was called in to fit new controller and thermostat.

The thermostat put in by previous owners (not long before selling, apparently) was wireless - but I couldn't find a receiver wired into boiler. Then I took the controller off it's mounting plate .... It had looked like it was wired into FCU to the right, but oh, no. The rest you can guess.

WB-nov-2011.jpg

Hi,
Newbie here, 3rd year 2330, have to say I am truly shocked (no pun intended) to see the amount of shoddy and dangerous work carried out by "supposedly qualified" people shown here. How do they sleep at night? Sorry..... not going to continue with rant.
Dipzy

Hi,
Newbie here, 3rd year 2330, have to say I am truly shocked (no pun intended) to see the amount of shoddy and dangerous work carried out by "supposedly qualified" people shown here. How do they sleep at night? Sorry..... not going to continue with rant.
Dipzy

You will never cease to be amazed at the dumb and downright crazy things people find to do with electrical installations!

How do you mean connected through the light to the switch ? Why do the they do it ? Cause they can & it's a quick buck, they don't give a damn that they're putting peoples lives / property at risk.

Hi, I just bought a light fitting to replace an old cieling rose, but not completed the fitting yet, the only thing i did was to wire the connections in the ceiling into a choc box before recoconnection the supply; however when i tried to reconnect by flicking on the fuse in the consumer unit, the lighting supply wont come back on, doesnt even trip, as if no supply feeding through

have you got all the reds in the same terminal? a pic would help.

have you got all the reds in the same terminal? a pic would help.
hi

cheers, i cant seem to upload any pics, but what i'm lookin to do is put the cieling rose back again and start again; my main prob with this is reconsiling the wires in the correct terminals, i have a simple rose attached on one side is brown and the other is blue, as far as cieling wiring is concerned i have two black wires that i believe were inserted in the section on the left attached to the live; a cpc; and 4 diffarant red wires that were split between the section of the other two termanals; two of course being the swith live and the other two that has to go to the nuetral left set of termanals
hope that sounds right:dizzy2:

hicheers, i cant seem to upload any pics, but what i'm lookin to do is put the cieling rose back again and start again; my main prob with this is reconsiling the wires in the correct terminals, i have a simple rose attached on one side is brown and the other is blue, as far as cieling wiring is concerned i have two black wires that i believe were inserted in the section on the left attached to the live; a cpc; and 4 diffarant red wires that were split between the section of the other two termanals; two of course being the swith live and the other two that has to go to the nuetral left set of termanals hope that sounds right:dizzy2:

That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. You should affectively have four cables, including the lamp cord. Assuming the existing cables are all old colours you would start with loop in and loop out - this is the daisy chain of supply power from one ceiling fitting to the next. So figure out which are the loop in-loop out conductors and connect the two reds to the longer of two middle terminal blocks (live), and the two blacks to the shorter of two middle terminal blocks (neutral). If this is connected correctly - and you haven't added anything else yet - all the other lights on that circuit should now work correctly - once CPCs are connected.

.The next thing to connect is the switch live which - ideally - someone will have marked by putting red (/brown) sleeving on the black - to so it's actually a live. The red goes to same terminal block as other reds, giving a live feed to the switch. The sleeved switch live back from the switch goes to the terminal block on the edge. The brown coloured cord lead goes to this. The blue coloured lead in the cord from the lamp joins the blacks on that terminal block.

All the CPCs should then by sleeved G/Y and connected to the earth block.

Don't forget to hook the two cord leads over the pegs either side of ceiling plate to support the weight of the lamp fitting and shade.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. You should affectively have four cables, including the lamp cord. Assuming the existing cables are all old colours you would start with loop in and loop out - this is the daisy chain of supply power from one ceiling fitting to the next. So figure out which are the loop in-loop out conductors and connect the two reds to the longer of two middle terminal blocks (live), and the two blacks to the shorter of two middle terminal blocks (neutral). If this is connected correctly - and you haven't added anything else yet - all the other lights on that circuit should now work correctly - once CPCs are connected.

.The next thing to connect is the switch live which - ideally - someone will have marked by putting red (/brown) sleeving on the black - to so it's actually a live. The red goes to same terminal block as other reds, giving a live feed to the switch. The sleeved switch live back from the switch goes to the terminal block on the edge. The brown coloured cord lead goes to this. The blue coloured lead in the cord from the lamp joins the blacks on that terminal block.

Don't forget to hook the two cord leads over the pegs either side of ceiling plate to support the weight of the lamp fitting and shade.
hi, thx, these are old cables and there is no sleeving, the other thing there is no cord as such, the light is operated by a normal swith, cheers

but thank you, i do understand the daisy chane and relise now why the other lights arent working, becuase the connection is not in place

Most ceiling roses that you can purchase from any DIY store will have a wiring diagram in them. When I am presented with 'one of these' (usually on a Sunday afternoon) I always start by 'ringing out' and finding the switchwire. Unless you have a 'parallel light' connection (2nd light on same switch) then the other wires are live, nuetral & cpc (earths).

Just back from call out and was faced with this....

IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

Main fuse had blown right out the cut out.... leaving the fuse carrier pins still in there !!

Different one for me.

Worked along side DNO chaps - removed anything the customers side that had got fire/heat damaged, done all my checks to make sure everything internally ok.

New cut out unit installed ----> power back on (minus a couple of fire damaged circuits + mini CU for shower)

Back Monday to re-do the rest.

DNO said to send them the bill as it was a faulty cut out.

Very lucky customer, this could have a been a lot lot worst, fire brigade turned up but luckily it had gone out in time

Last edited:

View attachment 9750View attachment 9751View attachment 9752

Main fuse had blown right out the cut out.... leaving the fuse carrier pins still in there !!

Different one for me.

Worked along side DNO chaps - removed anything the customers side that had got fire/heat damaged, done all my checks to make sure everything internally ok.

New cut out unit installed ----> power back on (minus a couple of fire damaged circuits)

Very lucky customer, this could have a been a lot lot worst, fire brigade turned up but luckily it had gone out in time

One word...

Wowness. :shocked:

View attachment 9750View attachment 9751View attachment 9752

Different one for me.

New cut out unit installed ----> power back on (minus a couple of fire damaged circuits + mini CU for shower)

I have pictures of a '800KMF' (80Amp sw. fuse) very similar to these. It was virtually unrecognisable. I'll see if I can get them up on here :goofy::goofy:

Wow, thanks for posting. Has anyone elese heard of a cut out being at fault?

yes specialy old cast ones hence the advice if ever coming across anything like this CALL DNO do NOT attempt to pull fuse or touch your self turn off main switches and let DNO do their stuff

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net