Discuss Terminate live feed from tiled floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vigman

-
Reaction score
Hi newbie here. Actually I'm a chartered electronics engineer but am often mystified by the dark magic of domestic wiring!

I have a kitchen counter fed by a live feed which comes up through a quarry tiled floor. I want to move the counter and disconnect that feed. I obviously don't want some form of termination on the floor so not sure what professionals would do here?

I can only think that the tile the cable comes through will have to be chipped out and a cavity made in the concrete screed below before fitting some sort of termination that can be covered by a new tile?

Any help or advice welcomed

TIA

Vigman

You need to find the source, normally fed from a nearby socket so isolate your socket supply for the kitchen and start looking for feeds from sockets normally exiting the bottom of the backbox.

At a push you might be able to remove the kick boards and see if a cable drops down the wall and disappears into the floor.

Thanks for the quick reply. I remember the cables for the counter sockets were run in trenches in the concrete screed before coming up inside the counters. There are a lot of sockets in the kitchen where the feed for the counter sockets could be from.

Would it be ever be possible to safely terminate the live feed below floor level and then tile over?

TIA

Vigman

Thanks for the quick reply. I remember the cables for the counter sockets were run in trenches in the concrete screed before coming up inside the counters. There are a lot of sockets in the kitchen where the feed for the counter sockets could be from.

Would it be ever be possible to safely terminate the live feed below floor level and then tile over?

TIA

Vigman
Joints in circuit cables nee to be accessible joining the cables and tiling over the joint is a far cry from being accessible.

Chop up the floor where the cable comes out. Carefully.

You will then be able to determine the direction that the cable comes from. It will probably be run in a straight line to the wall. From there it will probably (but not always) be connected into a socket vertical from that point.
You may see it emerge from the floor if you remove the kickboards.

Thanks everyone. I will have to find the feed and disconnect there.

I'll still have to chip the tile out round the cut dead cable coming out of the floor in order to get a finish.

Vigman

As @Archy Styrigg points out here...

That sounds like it's part of an RFC.

If there are multiple cables, it could indicate the sockets form part of a ring circuit. You should not simply disconnect them in this case as it could create a major safety issue (read, potential overload, fire and certain doom).

A good indicator would be if the counter sockets have two cables in each, with one cable coming up from the floor, daisy chaining through the sockets and then another going back into the floor.

I believe that the sockets on the counter are simply on a spur under the floor from a wall socket that is in line with the counter. There is a single feed so not a ring. I did actually help the electrian run the cables in the cottage (as I have laid miles of Cat5 in difficult spaces) but that was over 35 years ago.

I do agree with using professionals if in any doubt and I have used a plumber and electrician for all major and legal works.

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get professionals to take on small jobs in our area which is why some people take risks that I wouldn't.

Thanks to all who replied

Vigman

Are you going to disconnect this cable at the point at which it is fed from?

But he was talking about not even disconnecting them. Just connecting to a jb under floor.

My original post was to query whether you can ever terminate a live feed under the floor which has been answered as a clear "No"

If this is simply a spur from the wall socket to the counter socket surely there is no problem in disconnecting the spur cable?

Vigman

Reply to Terminate live feed from tiled floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net