Discuss Terminating an old garden light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kingston555

Hi all,
We had some old garden lights, most of which had stopped working years ago. I've removed them all now, but the cable is still embedded in the fabric of the wall and where it emerges from the wall I've left the conductors terminated in a simple connector block. Is there a more professional (and more aesthetic) way I can tie up this lose end? Thanks.

Handy thing to have though possibly. The second you chop the cables will typically be the same time your wife decides she wants to have some nice garden lights.

Hi all,
We had some old garden lights, most of which had stopped working years ago. I've removed them all now, but the cable is still embedded in the fabric of the wall and where it emerges from the wall I've left the conductors terminated in a simple connector block. Is there a more professional (and more aesthetic) way I can tie up this lose end? Thanks.

Not still live are they????? if yes diss the cable safely from the supply

Not still live are they????? if yes diss the cable safely from the supply

I think they were installed by taking a feed off a circuit in the living room.
Whenever those garden lights were switched on, it would trip the RCD for that circuit, thus knocking out all the other loads as well.
The missus does want new garden lights to go in, but I'm thinking better to have them on their own separate circuit, and therefore by-pass that old cabling altogether and just run a new one.

Sticking the light terminations in a connector block will only compound the problem, isolate the feed, you don't say where they fed from so it's difficult to advise.
If you want them reinstated then you need to find the fault (they trip the RCD) and rewire the supply, if you don't feel confident, as a trainee you should seek advice from your mentor.

Sticking the light terminations in a connector block will only compound the problem, isolate the feed, you don't say where they fed from so it's difficult to advise.
If you want them reinstated then you need to find the fault (they trip the RCD) and rewire the supply, if you don't feel confident, as a trainee you should seek advice from your mentor.

The old lighting has been totally removed (up to the point where the cable enters the brickwork of the house). It will be replaced with a completely new set of lights, but not using that cable in the wall, so the connector block is just a temporary measure until I know what to do with that cable sticking out. It's not intended to be part of the new set-up. The old lighting fed off a light switch. Isolating it is not a problem: I'm assuming, because it's in brickwork, I'm not going to be able to pull that old cable out.

As said before, either get the cable disconnected from the point it feeds the garden, or leave it there and put an ip66 wiska box over it, with the cable entering from the rear.

Reply to Terminating an old garden light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net