Discuss Terminating SWA Cable in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
A Builder is extending a house and expects to unearth a SWA cable running from the house to a detached garage. I can see the SWA terminates at a garage consumer unit but can't see it starting at the CU in the house. I plan to fit a new CU and new SWA to the garage (with a new Garage CU) as part of the project. Just for now I need to know how to terminate the SWA (probably into an waterproof box) when its unearthed. The circuit it's on is a 32A ring which supplies sockets in the house as well as the garage CU . I have isolated the supply so that the SWA cable won't be live when its located.

You can't supply a garage CU from a ring main. You will need to run a new cable back to the CU in the house and put it on it's own circuit.

A Builder is extending a house and expects to unearth a SWA cable running from the house to a detached garage. I can see the SWA terminates at a garage consumer unit but can't see it starting at the CU in the house. I plan to fit a new CU and new SWA to the garage (with a new Garage CU) as part of the project. Just for now I need to know how to terminate the SWA (probably into an waterproof box) when its unearthed. The circuit it's on is a 32A ring which supplies sockets in the house as well as the garage CU . I have isolated the supply so that the SWA cable won't be live when its located.
Why not gland the swa straight into the metal consumer unit?

You can't supply a garage CU from a ring main. You will need to run a new cable back to the CU in the house and put it on it's own circuit.
Not sure I understand the question.....
think he's saying there's an existing swa feeding a garage and that when the extension is getting built they may unearth it when doing the foundations , so he's going to install a new swa to the garage .
Think that's correct anyway .

Hi Simon - perhaps find where the SWA has been connected to house wiring and remove it there. As garage is getting a new supply then SWA best be removed, imho :)

think he's saying there's an existing swa feeding a garage and that when the extension is getting built they may unearth it when doing the foundations , so he's going to install a new swa to the garage .

Hum... he says he's isolated the supply, so presumably he hasn't isolated the socket circuit..... so the cable will be dead!

Hi Simon - perhaps find where the SWA has been connected to house wiring and remove it there. As garage is getting a new supply then SWA best be removed, imho :)
I agree this would be a good solution. Unfortunately I don't know where the connection was made. I do plan to install a new SWA with the new Consumer unit.

I agree this would be a good solution. Unfortunately I don't know where the connection was made. I do plan to install a new SWA with the new Consumer unit.

Best you try and find it as leaving a "terminated" live cable under ground isn't ideal - especially as its part of the RFC ...

That's correct. And I will take the new SWA back to the Consumer Unit, which should have need done in the first place.

What's a ring main doing in a house?
You're quite right Pete999. It's a Ring Final Circuit not a ring main. Thanks for pointing this out. Have you a solution to my question?
Is the SWA terminated in an adaptable box somewhere on the exterior of you house, this is usually the method when taking a supply from a Ring FC, as you say there is no evidence of any SWA at the CU.

If the SWA is connected to the ring final circuit it would be best to disconnect it there rather than have a live cable running through a working area of underground works.
However if this is not possible then when you find the loose end of the SWA cable this end can be glanded with a CW gland into a weatherproof junction box and the cores terminated in connectors to prevent inadvertent contact. Because of the nature of the location you should be looking to find a strong junction box as well as waterproof.
Ensuring that the cable is secured out of the way of any proposed works would also be good.

Reply to Terminating SWA Cable in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock