Discuss Test and inspection how long? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering the amount of time you would expect an inspection and test to take. I've just started at another firm and I'm wanting to gauge whether I'm the slowest tester in the land or if they at taking the Mick with the time allowed.
For instance how long would you all set aside for this test. Three story terrace house brand new install full rewire. 14 circuits in split load board,property is empty no furniture. Good access to consumer unit. Just after a rough idea how long others would allow.

The trouble with this is you are signing for Testing & Inspection. Have you been able to see the routing of the cables etc during installation?
It's not an EICR and LIM shouldn't be used on the certificate.

2-3 hours would be reasonable - if he had done the installation. I'm not a fan of signing an EIC for Testing & Inspection on others work, although in the bigger firms it's pretty normal. Who knows what abortions of work could be hidden out of sight.

Hi guys,
Thanks for your replys. Yes an hour was allocated for this test. I was thinking more along the lines of a full day
So this is what got me thinking how could you possibly test that amount of circuits in that 60 minutes. I can see that a few of you guys came to the same time scale.

I assume this is an initial verification not a Periodic. Not something I have done for a while but there are two ways of doing this, one correctly by doing the essential dead tests then live tests or by doing a global IR then liven it up for Zs tests and rcd tests which is not the correct way but it happens. The latter could be done by the skin of ones teeth in an hour. You have two choices in this.

I'm glad it's not just me then that thinks it's a bit of an unrealistic ask. I agree with Dave OCD that doing the dead testing while installing the consumer unit is best. Otherwise you end up undoing every circuit again to test.

At my previous job i had about 4 hours for the test and inspect, and that was including paperwork (which was actually on a tablet) and i think that was a push you basically had to run every where none stop that is one of the main reasons i left.

1 hour is a stupid time scale to me how is it possible to do the tests correctly with only an hour, telk your boss to do one.

I assume this is an initial verification not a Periodic. Not something I have done for a while but there are two ways of doing this, one correctly by doing the essential dead tests then live tests or by doing a global IR then liven it up for Zs tests and rcd tests which is not the correct way but it happens. The latter could be done by the skin of ones teeth in an hour. You have two choices in this.
Nothing wrong with global insulation testing. In fact if it isn't done this way then a mathematical formula will be required to verify compliance.

Reply to Test and inspection how long? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net