Discuss Test equipment certification. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
This is a question I have to admit I don't know the answer to, hard to believe I know! What is the period after which test equipment needs re- calibrating? As far as I know it is yearly, but I could be wrong. I ask because the dno I worked for had an engineer who built a test rig. The idea was that as there were about a thousand items of test gear used at our depot, it would be more economical to do it in house. So every year a dedicated set of test instruments were sent off to be calibrated. They were then used as 'masters' to be compared to via the test rig. Some items weren't tested, such as pulse echos, sniffers, cat and Genny etc, which either worked or didn't, same with Fusemate and Rezap portable circuit breakers. We were able to test AC and DC current and voltage earth / neutral loop impedance, impedance and afew other tests like phase rotation, test lamps etc. What do others think of this method? Any items found to be outside the limits were sent away for recallibration or scrapped. I think the only test gear not tested was the RCD tester, which we didn't use anyway. I would like to hear opinions on this, for once it doesn't concern me!

I can't on the face of it see a problem, the gear was also checked for damage, condition and batteries cganged etc. and this is a dno.

I bi-annually calibrate about 30 of these,

Seaward Clare Hal 104

001.jpg

I have a Clare v242 calibration unit to do this.

42657_2112558.jpg

Every day I check the Hal testers with a Y160

19-Fault-Simulator-[Y160H]-2.jpg

But I still send my fluke meters away to be calibrated once a year by RS Components

The V242 and Y160 are also calibrated by RS Components

I believe the minimum is a yearly calibration and a certificate of calibration.
If your kit isn't certified, any testing you do with them can be voided.
Test sheets ask for the serial number and make of your equipment. There must be a register of calibrated equipment.

That sounds about right. When we tested them the serial no. make and results were recorded, but of course most of the time they were used the readings were not recorded, as they weren't required to be.

reminds me of the old story about the factory hooter in the town. Every day the guy set his watch by the big clock in the watchmakers' window on the way to work to make sure it's spot on, then set off the hooter 8am.
Then one day his watch was on the blink so he took it in to the watch place on the way to get it repaired. Went to pick it up, and checked it against the big clock in the window, job's a goodun.
Then the shopkeeper told him "I know that clock's spot on, I adjust it every day when the factory hooter goes off"

You could click on the link to the right, and ask one of the forum sponsors Test Meter. After calibration, you could then use one of these for 3 years
CalCard-in-Hand.png

Accepted practise by all the Schemes, except Stroma 'cos they don't currently flog em. :)

What is the period after which test equipment needs re- calibrating?

What does the Manufacturer say about it in the manual supplied with your equipment purchased?

Reply to Test equipment certification. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net