Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Peterpipe

Peterpipe EF Member

Hi All
    Recently joined the forum to ask for some information.
    I recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
    Any comments gratefully recieved

Peter

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

3. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I don't agree. Lack of RCD protection where now required must be listed in the Observations section of the report. The severity of the coding recommendations will depend on the particular details of the installation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Do you know what an RCD is? Perhaps the spark involved got fed up with making recommendations to Landlords who generally baulk at increasing their tenants safety for the sake of a few quid by ignoring them, and just failed it to force the issue. Maybe debatable as far as the regulations are concerned, but at least it's going to be safer. I can't understand any landlord that wouldn't want one fitted to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Peterpipe

Peterpipe EF Member

Thanks for your comments, but does an existing fuse board without an RCD not meet the current regs.

6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    No but the instalation probably did meet the regulations current at the time the flat was first wired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

How has the RCD been fitted?

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I recommend that you Google best practice guide number 4, issue 4, download and read

9. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Read 3.1 of best practice guide

Attached Files:

10. Peterpipe

Peterpipe EF Member

He's taken out the mains switch and replaced it with the RCD

11. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Any test results /certificate issued to you?

12. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Dont get me started on landlords and letting agents. Have had a issue with them this morning, agent had me in to do a EICR a few weeks back, consumer unit from mid 90's, no rcd, amongst many issues i found in the house - such as missing cpc on lights, the water and gas bonded to each other but not to the MET or CU.. but also wants me to put in some new sockets and a extra shower on 3rd floor.as the large room is being split into 2 bedrooms, had to explain the need for an rcd. has a quote from somebody willing to do the job dirt cheap and landlord feels my price is too high. I said not to worry then, with the money he saves on the electrician he can use that towards his legal fees when he ends up in court when one of tenants ends up dead from the cowboys work. Suffice to say my response has meant i did not get the job, but im quite happy with that.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Look it is like this - it probably did meet requirements at the time. Whether it does now or not maybe be the subject of debate, however, for your own and more importantly your tenant's safety fitting one would be a good idea, and not expensive, as you have seen. Do you know what one does? Like I said before the spark has probably been in this situation loads of times before and been completely ignored by penny pinching landlords. Or, there may also be a good reason, so if I were you I would just crack on. He has not taken the mick with his price, IMO. Who was it told you that it should not have failed anyway? Have they been to the installation and done another EICR??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  14. Peterpipe

Peterpipe EF Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Attached photos of the fuse board, before and after. I have not received the test cert yet.
    I can well imagine the problems you have with landlords who just want to get the place let with no regard to the safety of the tenant. However had the spark made a comment that in his view and in the interest of the safety of the tenants he strongly advised that an RCD be fitted I would have agreed to the work.

20180222_111930.jpg

20180216_124829.jpg

15. Peterpipe

Peterpipe EF Member

I posted my last reply before receiving yours. I told a friend of mine who is a spark and he said he didn't think it should have failed if that was the only issue. Of course I know what an RCD does "I googled it"

• Like Like x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1