Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OK we will assume said electrician is self employed, irrespective of the possible dubious worth of installing an up-front RCD. No holiday pay, no sick pay, scheme fees, insurance, accountants, and so on. You have no idea of the costs involved, do you? How much rent are you charging your Tenant? Bet it's a hell of a lot more than £348 pcm, and your probably depriving someone of buying a first home to boot.

So you think £192 to fit an RCD in place of a main switch acceptable?

I don't

I agree with the spark. Landlords and letting agents can be downright ridiculous when it comes to things like this and you've done the right thing by paying for an EICR and an RCD at least your one of the few who keeps everything right and effectively keeping your tenants safer should an fault condition arise

@sparksburnout

You seem to be disagreeing with some of the comments on here ........ why, what is your opinion?

@Peterpipe

Have you received the invoice? Maybe not pay it until you have received the paperwork.

You need an EICR and a MWC or EIC with the invoice

Yes I have disagreed with a couple of the comments on here, it is allowed you know? I think I have made my comments fairly clearly, maybe you need to read through the posts. You yourself agreed with it being madness not to have RCD protection in a rental property so you have lost me on my first one. Regarding the second, I do work for a local estate agent, never had any problems or complaints from any direction, so it is unfair of you to generalise in my opinion. Who are we to know the costs involved in this particular job? Presumably they were agreed between the spark involved and the Landlord beforehand? If not then they should have been.

Who are we to know the costs involved in this particular job? Presumably they were agreed between the spark involved and the Landlord beforehand? If not then they should have been.

The way the OP has presented the information to us is that he wasn't given the choice, or, more importantly the opportunity to get another quote.

A photo of the board would be useful.

As for lettings and estate agents - they have a pretty awful reputation for this sort of thing and I normally decline opportunities from said organisations ............... I do work directly for home / flat owners and make sure that they understand the ins and outs of what is needed ............ and often suggest they get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks for all your comments it has been very interesting. My interpretation from what you have said is that not having an RCD in the fuse board is an advisory not a fail, although in everyone's opinion, including mine, it is an important safety device and should be fitted, so he duped me into having it fitted rather than advising me and he overcharged me for fitting the RCD.
Thanks again Peter

Yes I have disagreed with a couple of the comments on here, it is allowed you know? I think I have made my comments fairly clearly, maybe you need to read through the posts. You yourself agreed with it being madness not to have RCD protection in a rental property so you have lost me on my first one. Regarding the second, I do work for a local estate agent, never had any problems or complaints from any direction, so it is unfair of you to generalise in my opinion. Who are we to know the costs involved in this particular job? Presumably they were agreed between the spark involved and the Landlord beforehand? If not then they should have been.

The way the OP has presented the information to us is that he wasn't given the choice, or, more importantly the opportunity to get another quote.

As for lettings and estate agents - they have a pretty awful reputation for this sort of thing and I normally decline opportunities from said organisations ............... I do work directly for home / flat owners and make sure that they understand the ins and outs of what is needed ............ and often suggest they get a 2nd opinion.

I don't want to get in between the two of you :rolleyes:, but my eldest has rented for over ten years, and moved several times due to work etc. Slightly off topic, first time he moved we cleaned. Ended up getting 'fined' for dust on top of mirrors etc. Next time he moved, we got a cleaning company in. Letting agent said wasn't clean enough, should of used one we recommend, fined! Next time we used one recommended by letting agent, fined 'cos it weren't one used by that particular housing association. Next one we used everyone recommended by all, tried to fine 'cos the oven that was professionally cleaned, wasn't cleaned enough! This time we had enough and said -------s, sues us. Silence was golden.

I know there are some ---- tenants out there, but the rest seem to have to pay for it. Rant over.

Hope your not like this Peter.

PS underlined wasn't quite right, we had to respectfully refer them to the fact we used who their all recommended.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Estate agents, letting agents in particular, lower than a snakes --- in my opinion. They are all part of the modern disease that is rental. Trust me, I know, my lad has suffered from the worst of them. The one I deal with is OK though, there are some. Like I said earlier, maybe we are not in full possession of all the facts here, I am just trying to look at it from the sparks point of view, however now we are into charging for up front RCD's you have to start wondering.

H
I don't want to get in between the two of you :rolleyes:, but my eldest has rented for over ten years, and moved several times due to work etc. Slightly off topic, first time he moved we cleaned. Ended up getting 'fined' for dust on top of mirrors etc. Next time he moved, we got a cleaning company in. Letting agent said wasn't clean enough, should of used one we recommend, fined! Next time we used one recommended by letting agent, fined 'cos it weren't one used by that particular housing association. Next one we used everyone recommended by all, tried to fine 'cos the oven that was professionally cleaned, wasn't cleaned enough! This time we had enough and said ********, sues us. Silence was golden.

I know there are some **** tenants out there, but the rest seem to have to pay for it. Rant over.

Hope your not like this Peter.

PS underlined wasn't quite right, we had to respectfully refer them to the fact we used who their all recommended.
He must have shared with my son. I could write a book mate, people who have no experience of this wouldn't believe half of it.

The eicr price was acceptable,the Rcd price (even if there were problems to sort out) it leans on the side of one big ---- take

Any problems installing a Rcd could and should have been identified by the eicr

Its a ten minute job to install and test
Add in some time to go and get the thing if needs be, a percentage knock up on the £45 cost and a contribution to overheads the job was maximum £90

Three friends of mine have rented out flats, all have had bad experiences with tenants and would never do it again. One friend bought a flat and has not had any problems or set foot in the flat for eleven years. It has cost a lot and taken me months to get the flat up to a good standard. I hope the tenants do not change me into a bad landlord.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination pro private rental
(Whatever happened to our millions of excellent council house stock ?)It was ripped to shreds in the name of the free market

Its your property,you worked to pay to make the investment and it should be kept in as good condition as found,it should also be given the respect as if it were the tenants own property

The rental market in the UK must be the wackiest and most useless system for all parties anywhere in Europe

The eicr price was acceptable,the Rcd price (even if there were problems to sort out) it leans on the side of one big **** take

Any problems installing a Rcd could and should have been identified by the eicr

Its a ten minute job to install and test
Add in some time to go and get the thing if needs be, a percentage knock up on the £45 cost and a contribution to overheads the job was maximum £90

Three friends of mine have rented out flats, all have had bad experiences with tenants and would never do it again. One friend bought a flat and has not had any problems or set foot in the flat for eleven years. It has cost a lot and taken me months to get the flat up to a good standard. I hope the tenants do not change me into a bad landlord.
So if these 3 friends have had bad experiences why did you follow in their footsteps, if i might ask?

I am not by any stretch of the imagination pro private rental
(Whatever happened to our millions of excellent council house stock ?)It was ripped to shreds in the name of the free market

Its your property,you worked to pay to make the investment and it should be kept in as good condition as found,it should also be given the respect as if it were the tenants own property

The rental market in the UK must be the wackiest and most useless system for all parties anywhere in Europe
Never was a truer word spoken.

A far better solution would have been rcbo's for the socket circuits.
I was just going to post the same Murdoch installing a RCD for the whole installation is asking for trouble the OP is going to like being called out when the whole flat has no electric due to a single fault rather than just tripping out one of the socket circuits.

I was just going to post the same Murdoch installing a RCD for the whole installation is asking for trouble the OP is going to like being called out when the whole flat has no electric due to a single fault rather than just tripping out one of the socket circuits.
Never mind anyone getting "called out" the point in question was the safety of the landlords Tenants. Would you be happy if one of your family was living in a rental with no RCD protection? I will assume a "no" to that one, you can always take another view of course.

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net