Discuss test for phase sequence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lfcsparkycus

done c & g 2330 level 2 & 3 and 2382. i wanna do 2391 or the new 1 (whatever that is) but have little practical experience, im not a stupid person but i dont see myself as qualified yet. do think i will know enough to pass if i read gn3 for a couple of months before i book up? real reason for this ramble is how do you test for phase sequence?

with a phase sequence tester. some MFTs have them built in.

would you connect the tester to all 3 phases at the same time hit the button and it will tell you if you have the correct sequence?

There is no correct sequence. You just need to make sure that all DBs and machines fed from the same supply have the SAME sequence. Is particularly important for rotating machinery.

yes you do... copied from manual for my old tester
Determine Phase Rotation Direction
1. Connect the supplied color-coded test leads to the meter’s test
lead input jacks at the top of the meter.
2. Connect the test probes to the three mains phases for the system
under test.
3. L1, L2, and L3 indicators will illuminate one at a time on the
meter’s LCD display as each phase is connected.
4. The clockwise and counter-clockwise arrows with the left/right ‘L’
or ‘R’ icons display the phase rotation direction of the device
under test.
5. The sequence grid simply shows the three line sequences for
Clockwise ‘R’ and the three line sequences for Counter-Clockwise
‘L’.
Note: The rotational arrow indicators illuminate even if one of the test
probes is connected to a neutral or ground conductor instead of one
of the mains phases.

as ringer says. if a motor goes the wrong way, then the phase rotation is incorrect for that situation

mine says red/yellow/blue. i've been trying for ages to get brown/black/grey LEDs but nobody makes them.

would have to disagree with that statement Ringer, if a machine manufacturer states U1 to be connected to L1 etc if all the dbs are connected wrongly that motor or whatever will turn in the opposite direction, if the control circuit is protected with a phase sequence/rotation relay and all the dbs are connected the same but wrong, nothing will happen.

what's metric? is it an underground railway?

It is interesting to have the new tickbox on the certs as I had a factory the the board had connected wrongly so every machine had to be reversed which made alterations a nightmare when some items really did need reversing on supply, I phoned DNO and they could not be bothered about it and would not come out to change back. I would have done it myself but it was a 400A intake so was on CT so not so straight forward.

There is no correct sequence. You just need to make sure that all DBs and machines fed from the same supply have the SAME sequence. Is particularly important for rotating machinery.

That's not always correct. There are many industrial situations where the correct phase sequence needs to be maintained from the main Switchboard to any point in the factory. usually all the 3 phase distribution circuit conductors are colour coded and so easy to keep in sequence. Where they are not, maybe in later bought-in multi phase panels, it's necessary to test and permanently mark up the correct sequence. A normal phase sequence tester will not always show correct sequence, L1, L2, L3 only that the phases are in sequence which could be L3, L2, L1. I have a rather expensive phase sequence tester, that will only indicate correct sequence when the correct probes are on L1, L2, L3, but not on L3, L2, L1 (if you get my meaning lol!!)

It's not uncommon at all, to see the old Blue conductor to be connected to L1, Yellow to L2, and Red to L3. A motor will still run in the correct rotation, it's just not in sequence with the phases from the origin. Some factory processes or rather the equipment /machinery just require that correct phase sequence L1/2/3 to be present at all it's interlinked connection terminals...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting to have the new tickbox on the certs as I had a factory the the board had connected wrongly so every machine had to be reversed which made alterations a nightmare when some items really did need reversing on supply, I phoned DNO and they could not be bothered about it and would not come out to change back. I would have done it myself but it was a 400A intake so was on CT so not so straight forward.

Similar situation. Was doing a condition report and my meter was showing 321 at the MDB, traced back to the incoming from distributor and sure enough even though its a newish supply, 400A and colour coded, still getting 321. Its been in for around 5 years so dont expect any action from supplier and also dont fancy correcting about 30 machines, problem i have is that i now have to install a new 200A board, do i install it 321 or correct the sequence for just this board, any ideas guys ?
thx

Reply to test for phase sequence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock