Discuss Test leads - genuine or after market in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need new test leads for any Metrel and have seen AMECal do the same set as Metrel. Just wondering if they are any good or should I stick to the pricier Metrel ones?
Thanks in advance

I need new test leads for any Metrel and have seen AMECal do the same set as Metrel. Just wondering if they are any good or should I stick to the pricier Metrel ones?
Thanks in advance
You will need to be aware of fakes when you buy after market, test leads need to compliant with GS38, so be warned, apart from being dangerous if they are not GS38 compliant could make your test results invalid, just saying.

Ameca are a well known brand, shouldn't have any problems, doubt it is the kind of thing that will be faked as I would imagine they are not mass market enough.

If you think of it, your test leads are the most tested piece of equipment you have. You check them by nulling, you IR them constantly. If they are your leads, you will know when they break down (or blow up)!
I was testing the other day and did a couple of DBs with different meggers both in Cal same models but the batteries were at different levels of charge. What a difference in trust from one to another. I got to a point where I couldn't trust the R1/R2 on the megger with depleted batteries.
MFTs are amazing bits of kit though.

How so? I thought that GS38 was to do with safety, not accuracy (not looked at it recently).
Just thinking that if the leads aren't GS38 and some jobsworth asked for a check of the equipment used, and there was an accident or mistake the non conforming leads could be an issue, may be my wording was a bit vague.

Yes , I tend to agree with you Pete.
You can argue all you want at the tribunal , but if your leads do not comply with The following cut and past from the fourth edition , you are in it if anything goes wrong.

Specific requirements for test leads
In line with changes made to the standards that cover the manufacture of test leads, there are some specific requirements that leads should comply with added in the fourth edition:

• Conform to the requirements of BS EN 61010-031 or in the case of a 2 pole voltage detector to BS EN 61243-3,
  • Be marked with the rated installation category – CAT II, III or IV
  • Be marked with the manufacturer’s name or identifying mark

Reply to Test leads - genuine or after market in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net