Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Test leads

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Jel, Feb 26, 2012.

Discuss Test leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jel

Jel Regular EF Member

My Megger MFT1553 test leads need to be replaced. Can anyone recommend any test leads out there that are:
    Compatible with this tester, and have a stronger clip, as my current ones just don't seem to clip well onto terminal bars and other items very well.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    most mft lead croc lips are pants. don't know what they test them on. it's certainly not the same type of terminals that i come across. i call mine clip and ping. the best clips are the old AVO ones, but we're not allowed to use them as they're not "approved"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Wrap an elastic band around the end of the croc.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    is that for grip, or secondary insulation?

5. ringer

ringer Electrician's Arms

Got my replacement leads (for my MFT1552) from ISSWWW in Norwich
    MEG 1001-860 TEST LEAD 6220-796 6220-770 £30 inc VAT
    Slightly different to the original ones, slightly better in my opinion.

6. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

yep Tel.....most crocs are just crap......when i have to use my boss`s metrel i just hate the crocs on them leads.....every bloody time i`m doing a Zs on a ceiling rose the damn things ping off the earth box...does my head in it does....nearly as much as the test leads themselves....getting all tangled up with each other.....the robin sl16s were a much better idea with the sleaving over em...keeping it all in order rather than these things that just "sprout out" from the plug like roots......

7. KFH

KFH Regular EF Member

I have bought the new Megger leads. 1001-974. They are to the new colours. The croc clip appears much better but I have not tried it in anger yet, see below. However the GS-38 compliant ends are removable to plug in the croc clips. This means that you have to find somewhere to put the probes when you are using the croc clips. The clips and GS-38 probes (you can throw away all your little plastic tip covers :)) plug into a shrouded holder (the bit you hold) this shrouded holder does not work reliable with the Kewtech R1 R2 plug and they do not work with the Megger MTB test box as they have a shoulder on them which stops you pushing them in. You do get one long thin insulated probe for those places a GS-38 probe stands no chance of seeing. So overall I am not impressed and am on the look out for something better, not impressed as I have effectively wasted £40.