Discuss Test meters and MWCs for DIYers in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m a diyer who does some electrical work in my own house, but only what I can legally and safely do. As a diyer, would it be a good idea to get a proper test meter to be able to test my own work? As I know they are expensive and require calibration, is it worth the cost?
Also, could I issue myself minor works certificates if I could test my own work, and dobthe rest of the tests required on a MWC?
Thanks for any replies

If you are competent and carry out the correct testing for the work done yes as long as it’s not in any special locations or new circuits.

Hi all

I’m a diyer who does some electrical work in my own house, but only what I can legally and safely do. As a diyer, would it be a good idea to get a proper test meter to be able to test my own work? As I know they are expensive and require calibration, is it worth the cost?
Also, could I issue myself minor works certificates if I could test my own work, and dobthe rest of the tests required on a MWC?
Thanks for any replies

don't believe you.jpg

Hi all

Thanks for any replies
Just enrol in a Electrical Trainee course you should be OK to go then.:eek:

Hi,Steve,you may need to expand,on the type of training you have had,and the scale of work you intend to get involved in.

This will ensure you get a degree of assistance,otherwise,some will see the post as "...what do i need,to do all your jobs?..."

A bit of back and forth,will curb the potential,for another cock-fight :)

I’ve not had any formal training, just a diyer. The sort of work I do at home is not notifiable work, nor in special locations, just things like lighting(such as downlight installation), adding sockets( by extending the ring), and I’m planning on putting in some outdoor lighting and sockets, which I know should be tested. It won’t be a new circuit, so not notifiable. I have no intention of doing any big jobs like rewires or new circuits, unless I get BC involved.

I’ve not had any formal training, just a diyer. The sort of work I do at home is not notifiable work, nor in special locations, just things like lighting(such as downlight installation), adding sockets( by extending the ring), and I’m planning on putting in some outdoor lighting and sockets, which I know should be tested. It won’t be a new circuit, so not notifiable. I have no intention of doing any big jobs like rewires or new circuits, unless I get BC involved.
Just be honest and tell the truth, we will respect you far more than now if you do.

That really is the truth, I haven’t done any notifiable work, or any work in special locations. The only work I’ve done in a special location was putting an in-line fan in a bathroom, but it was out of zones so not a problem. To date the jobs I’ve done in my house have been adding sockets, down lights, multiple ceiling light changes, replacing an oven, extra lighting and sockets in a garage.

So I’m wondering if I got a proper tester could I write MWCs myself. I realise that some of those jobs I listed should have had a MWC, and proper testing.

Reply to Test meters and MWCs for DIYers in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net