Discuss Test RCDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robertoj

Hi guys I have a question: how the tests carried out on the 500mA RCD would differ from those carried out on the 30mA for test sockets outlet protected by RCDs 30mA Any hints??

Im my opinion test instrument disply large value times???

No 5x tests for RCDs with an IΔn other than 30mA (the only exception being 10mA RCDs if used for additional prtoection).

Just as a matter of interest, do the majority of MFT's have the facility of testing 10mA RCD devices at 5X?? I don't generally use MFT's but i've come across dedicated RCD testers that only tests at 5X when set on the 30mA setting... Not sure if my CM500 has the facility or not, can't say i've ever used it on 10mA devices...

Thinking about it, that may of only been the case on the auto test position where the tester runs through the sequence from 1/2-1X -5X incorporating the 0 and 180 cycle positions....

Just as a matter of interest, do the majority of MFT's have the facility of testing 10mA RCD devices at 5X?? I don't generally use MFT's but i've come across dedicated RCD testers that only tests at 5X when set on the 30mA setting... Not sure if my CM500 has the facility or not, can't say i've ever used it on 10mA devices...

Thinking about it, that may of only been the case on the auto test position where the tester runs through the sequence from 1/2-1X -5X incorporating the 0 and 180 cycle positions....

My Metrel MI3000 seems to be able of individually testing 10, 30, 100, 300, and 500mA at half, x1, x2, and x5 rated current. I only generally use the 30mA auto test function on it though.

Yes mate, my Megger 1553 can test 5x on 10mA and 30mA. You can set it to test 5x on anything above but it will automatically prevent the test from taking place.

On the auto test function, it skips the 5x tests on 100mA and higher for both 0 and 180 cycles.

Of course if you wanted to test a 100mA RCD at x5 you could just do a 500mA test ;)

Speaking hypothetically of course, I'm not suggesting you should or would need to

Just as a matter of interest, do the majority of MFT's have the facility of testing 10mA RCD devices at 5X??

I think so. I have noticed when using others' Fluke MFTs on the auto range that it incorrectly does a 5 times test on the 100mA setting.

Reply to Test RCDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net