Discuss Test readings in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris-1977

Hi

i have a keen interest in my home electrics and diy, and have recently purchased some test equipment. I think the phrase is "all the gear and no idea" Anyway, I do actually know how to conduct the relevant tests but have no idea what readings are good or bad. Could somebody please advise me what are acceptable/ good readings and also bad readings for the following tests in a domestic setting?

1) Continuity of CPC inc main & sup bonding.
2) Continuiy of ring final.
3) Insulation resistance.
4) Earth electrode resistance.

Live Testing

1) Earth fault loop impedance Ze
2) Prespective fault current PFC
3) Earth Fault loop impedance Zs

Many thanks

chris

Hi Chris - 1977, welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid it not as easy as giving you some set of readings required to pass or fail - type of OCPD and rating, type of supply and earthing arrangement will all need to be recognised for some of these tests so as to be able to look up the relevent permitted values in the BS7671.

Additional to this you may need to factor in conductor temp' while testing as this effects the resistance of the cable that your meter will read.

Learning and understanding how to interpret your meter readings isn't something that is easy to translate over a forum and requires training to understand what the reading mean and even what can corrupt the reading which is just as important to ensure you are not getting false results.

Last edited:
Too many variables to give you straight answers.

Based on your previous post, are you still training to be a spark? If so maybe you should request access to the trainee area on the forum.

Too many variables to give you straight answers.

Based on your previous post, are you still training to be a spark? If so maybe you should request access to the trainee area on the forum.

Hi murdoch,

thanks for your reply. Well, I completed

City & Guilds 2365 Electrical installation level 1, 2 and 3 and took me three years part time at Bedford College. Cannot for the life of me, get anyone to give me some practical experience. I'm 38 with a mortgage so cannot possibly live on a trainees wage. So, the long and short of it I basically gave up and feel that I have wasted both my time and money, to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

Recently, I replaced a bathroom switch which had been crackling and flashing. Turned out that the switch had perished and was arching causing carbon build up. Anyway, it's made me want to go for it again and give it one last go to try and become a domestic installer. I'm booked on my 17th edition in January

Hi murdoch,

thanks for your reply. Well, I completed

City & Guilds 2365 Electrical installation level 1, 2 and 3 and took me three years part time at Bedford College. Cannot for the life of me, get anyone to give me some practical experience. I'm 38 with a mortgage so cannot possibly live on a trainees wage. So, the long and short of it I basically gave up and feel that I have wasted both my time and money, to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

Recently, I replaced a bathroom switch which had been crackling and flashing. Turned out that the switch had perished and was arching causing carbon build up. Anyway, it's made me want to go for it again and give it one last go to try and become a domestic installer. I'm booked on my 17th edition in January

The City & Guilds 2394/5 is a worthy qualification to gain also.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Have been really helpful. I have purchased a couple of Chris kitchers books. Also I'm looking at completing the Combined electrical testing and inspecting course at Bedford college. In all honesty I think I gave up too easily. Going to get back up to speed and have a go again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. You have all really given me the motivation to get a grip and go for it again. I might have to come on here a lot more for further advice! You have been helpful thanks again

If you get yourself back on any course just apply for the trainee section where we have mentors who can answer any questions expected from members learning the ropes, also plenty of trainee's that can also share their experiences and advice about course work etc ... glad you found the forum useful :)

Hi Chris,your age has got rack-all to do with it... it will be your enthusiasm and determination,which fuel success.

The fact you have done the quals mentioned,will give you the "map",to navigate the journey further.

You did not mention what gear you have purchased,but you will first need to be familiar with it. Very,familiar.

Flatten the batteries,using ALL the parameters available,and know it backwards...then,starting with your own property,use in real-world test situations.

As you gain confidence,family,friends and others,could benefit from "non-time constrained,cost-free" EICRs'

The truth is,to launch on the S/E domestic scene,you will need those two big danglies,confidence,and experience.

I wish you the best,and ask for help on here,remembering that any sharp or acid comments,are part and parcel of the job,and a mere taste of what the great British public is capable of...:yesnod:

Hi Chris,your age has got rack-all to do with it... it will be your enthusiasm and determination,which fuel success.

The fact you have done the quals mentioned,will give you the "map",to navigate the journey further.

You did not mention what gear you have purchased,but you will first need to be familiar with it. Very,familiar.

Flatten the batteries,using ALL the parameters available,and know it backwards...then,starting with your own property,use in real-world test situations.

As you gain confidence,family,friends and others,could benefit from "non-time constrained,cost-free" EICRs'

The truth is,to launch on the S/E domestic scene,you will need those two big danglies,confidence,and experience.

I wish you the best,and ask for help on here,remembering that any sharp or acid comments,are part and parcel of the job,and a mere taste of what the great British public is capable of...:yesnod:

I have today booked my 17th edition. Luckily Bedford College now run it over 6 weeks on a Monday evening, so that helps me out with work constraints. The regs and OSG arrived today, so I'm set and feeling quite confident.

I have today booked my 17th edition. Luckily Bedford College now run it over 6 weeks on a Monday evening, so that helps me out with work constraints. The regs and OSG arrived today, so I'm set and feeling quite confident.

Hi Chris, Does the 17th edition course have a number? Barrie

Hi Midwest,
Yes Thanks, got your reply to my initial message on Saturday evening, you mentioned the Italian Bloke? I replied and told you his name, did you get it? I also mentioned other Sparks you may have known but it was a long time ago, a different century lol
Barrie

Reply to Test readings in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net