Discuss Testing a socket in the middle of a distribution circuit. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First post. I've installed a 6mm SWA cable to a summer house in the garden from the house. Summer house has a cu with a ring and light. I've installed an outside socket in the middle of the distribution circuit. Between the house and summer house.

Question. How do I inspect and test this socket and include it on the EIC. It's kinda in no-man's land.

Thanks.

First post. I've installed a 6mm SWA cable to a summer house in the garden from the house. Summer house has a cu with a ring and light. I've installed an outside socket in the middle of the distribution circuit. Between the house and summer house.

Question. How do I inspect and test this socket and include it on the EIC. It's kinda in no-man's land.

Thanks.
It's not a distribution circuit then is it? it's a supply to a socket with a CU tagged on the end wit a RFC and a lighting circuit as well woulsdn't like to put my name to that.

The circuit on the schedule will state; Garden socket and consumer unit in summer house, points served; 2. Simples but why you did this who knows.

If you don't know how to test and certify a simple radial circuit you shouldn't be doing the job.
Dave it's not really a radial as such it's a sub main with a socket installed in the middle, not an ideal arrangement is it?

I've installed an outside socket in the middle of the distribution circuit. Between the house and summer house.
I thought that would be the case....I guess I could turn it into a junction box if I have to.
or turn into a

upload_2017-9-18_19-24-40.png

Not the best but you will be hard pushed to find a Regulation to say it is incorrect. Rcd/rcbos both ends I suspect.

Not the best but you will be hard pushed to find a Regulation to say it is incorrect. Rcd/rcbos both ends I suspect.
Westy the circuit as is, is an abortion, who has ever heard of running a sub main and sticking a socket in the middle? the min boggles.

I would have ran a new cable (swa or pvc pipe) from the cu or spurred off a socket in the summer house, not the best way to break into a distribution circuit to add a socket and now I guess there's two rcds in series, which I hate, because you can't test the 2nd without bypassing the 1st.

Thanks for all your input. I also can't find a reg that says you can't. The socket was already there so the summer house is added. I agree it does all sound a bit shonky..... I'll turn the socket into a junction..... before I put my name to it.

Cheers.

Thanks for all your input. I also can't find a reg that says you can't. The socket was already there so the summer house is added. I agree it does all sound a bit shonky..... I'll turn the socket into a junction..... before I put my name to it.

Cheers.

Suggest you read Part 2, definitions, then find Distribution Circuit...

Assuming you have the BYB

Suggest you read Part 2, definitions, then find Distribution Circuit...

Assuming you have the BYB

Nothing in the regs stating that a distribution circuit can only serve one point.

OK, not under BS7671, but the cable to your house could be regarded as a multi-point distribution circuit.

I've installed one myself. Something like a 60A switch fuse, SWA to separate garage, then continue on to garden office on the same circuit. Made no sense to run two cables or to run the garden office (which was the major load) as a final circuit from the garage.

Reply to Testing a socket in the middle of a distribution circuit. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net