Discuss Testing a Sub Meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BMW

Hi
Wonder if any one can provide any advise? Working in a factory which they have sub let to a number of smaller businesses. Each is feed from a sub main and has a sub meter. Now one of these outlets a cafe, is complaining to the landlord about the size of the bills (over £1000 a month). Now they have asked me to check it out. Not really had anything like this before so any help welcomed.

On the old dial meters you could have a fixed load count the revs and generally work it out however 2 main issues.

1) it's a digital meter do I count the flashes??
2) The place is in constant use with freezer, fridges water heaters etc in constant use what can I do about the load? Even turning it off to check if they are feeding half of next door is an issue. I never wired these or put the meter in so really not sure on the best way to do this to be honest.

I know the land lord reads the meters daily and I think the main Board meters so I guess I could add all the individual consumption's and check against the main meter. I guess that would tell me if at least the units were being used in the building generally. If not it could point to this meter being wrong or it feeding something else. Just to add to the pot the Cafe owners do not have English as their First language and the Landlord tells me she suspects they tried to fiddle this meter in the past?? no evidence of course. Any ideas where to start?

If the bills are a £1000 a month, then the hire of a calibrated power analyser will be well worth the hire cost. Then it's a matter of just comparing the official meter with that of the analyser findings over say 5 working days or so. If power poaching is suspected, unfortunately the only sure and quick way of confirming or otherwise, would be switching off all loads at the respective circuit breakers.

Check out costs of hiring a suitable power analyser from the forums sponsor ''Test Meter''

Or the client could purchase energy monitors and clamp around the tails of the meters in question and see how much difference at the end of the month/weeks there is.

Reply to Testing a Sub Meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock