Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Testing and inspection on am2 in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    hi all,

Have my am2 next week... just brushing up on a few things.
    Was looking for some advice on IR test on the whole consumer unit with a RCBO.
    Is it ok to just remove the fly leads from RCBO or is it ok to disconnect and test live to neutral, live to earth, earth to neutral etc from the circuit at the DB?
    Also, when doing a R1R2 test on the three phase socket and motor can I test each phase individually from DB to DOL then DOL to motor and add the results as I have heard this is acceptable? Everything else is fine..,..,,.. I hope!! Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Sorry,

Just the motor circuit.
    Is it acceptable to test from DB to DOL then DOL to motor.

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None

4. sevuk

sevuk Regular EF Member

This guy is like an Oracle

5. DavidSpark

DavidSpark Regular EF Member

Hello!

When doing mine, I left the ring final circuit conductors disconnected after doing my continuity of ring final and tested the insulation resistance on that circuit alone.

As for the 3 phase socket you should be able to check continuity all the way through.

you are spot on with the motor circuit. Don't forget to do a similar thing when doing IR! Make sure to make a wee drawing with notes and calculation for your R1+R2 on a bit of paper though as they get kept as evidence.

Best of luck with your AM2!

6. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Thanks!

Great advice. Did you not megger the whole installation then for the IR test? Did you test every circuit individually?
    In my head I was thinking of doing a universal IR test. Also, did you do an IR test on the main l1-l2, l1-l3,l2-l3? If that makes sense

7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Deleted

8. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Ensure installation is safely isolated.

Isolate items sensitive to test such as smoke detector, heating circuit. Isolate the RCBO by using the ISOBAR, disconnect the circuit from the RCBO, nothing to stop you connecting the circuit to another MCB just for testing.

Carry out global test on the board as per the videos etc. Ensure you test with all switches in all combinations. A top tip is if the test meter has a lock on device for the IR test use this as it makes life easier just remember to turn it off.

Test from the starter to the motor.

Reinstate all circuits and items sensitive to test.

RECORD RESULTS!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

and don't forget to pull the locking key in you pocket when safe isolation people forget that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Strima

One of the biggest fail points along with no seeking permission to isolate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Hi,
    Would be good if I could just take the rcbo out completely and replace with a b32 just for test purposes. That way I could just do a global IR test on the whole installation. Obviously disconnect sensitive devices, C02, heating etc. Would you advise actually disconnecting the leg that runs from DB to DOL put in wagos then test. Then just test the leg from DOL to motor separate?. So, effectively you do a globally test then just test from DOL to motor?

Thanks

12. Lintay

Lintay Regular EF Member

I used a 32 a mcb and left the rcbo above the board and let the examiner know it was there only for the test
    With the motor u can ask the examiner to hold the contractor in

13. Lintay

Lintay Regular EF Member

IR test the whole board then from the motor make sure your isobars are on

14. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here Guys, a quick question, not ever had to do the AM2 I qualified before that animal was born, is it part of the test for this qualification to test the Motor Winding's as well as the fixed wiring? not trying to confuse the issue, I ask because when carrying out a test on an installation, it's the fixed wiring only, testing Electrical Equipment ( the motor in this scenario) comes under a different code of practice ISITEE. As I said if I have the wrong end of the stick accept my apologies.

15. Strima

There's no motor fitted, normally just a plate with three test points on so you can do the dead and live tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Ah right OK thanks

17. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Great,

Really good advice, much appreciated!
    So, you can literally do a global test in the whole board. Once c02, heating etc is isolated.
    That saves a lot of time.

18. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Don't know if it's just me but are you thinking of attempting a global IR test from the motor terminals?

19. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    No not at all. From the board

20. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    I’m daft, but, not that daft!

21. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Wasn't trying to say that Mate, just sensed some confusion in the post, I couldn't get my head around.

22. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Just wanted clarification on what can be done with IR test and the rcbo. And testing through the motor. My questions have well and truly been answered. As long as I know that it is acceptable to change the rcbo for b32 and fine to ask the examiner to hold the contractor on the motor down or even test from the DB to the DOL then DOL to the motor. Just makes it a lot easier that you can actually perform a global IR test on the installation, rather than I was starting to think of doing each circuit individually.

23. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Might find it difficult to hold the contractor down Jake specially if he is a big bloke I know you meant contactor, just having some fun good luck anyhow

24. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    I reckon I could take him!!
    Thanks for the replies, real helpful.
    Hoping the nerves don’t get the better of me and make some stupid mistakes. Or just go blank.