• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Testing and inspection on am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all,

Have my am2 next week... just brushing up on a few things.
Was looking for some advice on IR test on the whole consumer unit with a RCBO.
Is it ok to just remove the fly leads from RCBO or is it ok to disconnect and test live to neutral, live to earth, earth to neutral etc from the circuit at the DB?
Also, when doing a R1R2 test on the three phase socket and motor can I test each phase individually from DB to DOL then DOL to motor and add the results as I have heard this is acceptable? Everything else is fine..,..,,.. I hope!! Cheers

hi all,

Have my am2 next week... just brushing up on a few things.
Was looking for some advice on IR test on the whole consumer unit with a RCBO.
Is it ok to just remove the fly leads from RCBO or is it ok to disconnect and test live to neutral, live to earth, earth to neutral etc from the circuit at the DB?
Also, when doing a R1R2 test on the three phase socket and motor can I test each phase individually from DB to DOL then DOL to motor and add the results as I have heard this is acceptable? Everything else is fine..,..,,.. I hope!! Cheers

Hello!

When doing mine, I left the ring final circuit conductors disconnected after doing my continuity of ring final and tested the insulation resistance on that circuit alone.

As for the 3 phase socket you should be able to check continuity all the way through.

you are spot on with the motor circuit. Don't forget to do a similar thing when doing IR! Make sure to make a wee drawing with notes and calculation for your R1+R2 on a bit of paper though as they get kept as evidence.

Best of luck with your AM2!

Thanks!

Great advice. Did you not megger the whole installation then for the IR test? Did you test every circuit individually?
In my head I was thinking of doing a universal IR test. Also, did you do an IR test on the main l1-l2, l1-l3,l2-l3? If that makes sense

Ensure installation is safely isolated.

Isolate items sensitive to test such as smoke detector, heating circuit. Isolate the RCBO by using the ISOBAR, disconnect the circuit from the RCBO, nothing to stop you connecting the circuit to another MCB just for testing.

Carry out global test on the board as per the videos etc. Ensure you test with all switches in all combinations. A top tip is if the test meter has a lock on device for the IR test use this as it makes life easier just remember to turn it off.

Test from the starter to the motor.

Reinstate all circuits and items sensitive to test.

RECORD RESULTS!!!

Hi,
Would be good if I could just take the rcbo out completely and replace with a b32 just for test purposes. That way I could just do a global IR test on the whole installation. Obviously disconnect sensitive devices, C02, heating etc. Would you advise actually disconnecting the leg that runs from DB to DOL put in wagos then test. Then just test the leg from DOL to motor separate?. So, effectively you do a globally test then just test from DOL to motor?

Thanks

I used a 32 a mcb and left the rcbo above the board and let the examiner know it was there only for the test
With the motor u can ask the examiner to hold the contractor in

Ensure installation is safely isolated.

Isolate items sensitive to test such as smoke detector, heating circuit. Isolate the RCBO by using the ISOBAR, disconnect the circuit from the RCBO, nothing to stop you connecting the circuit to another MCB just for testing.

Carry out global test on the board as per the videos etc. Ensure you test with all switches in all combinations. A top tip is if the test meter has a lock on device for the IR test use this as it makes life easier just remember to turn it off.

Test from the starter to the motor.

Reinstate all circuits and items sensitive to test.

RECORD RESULTS!!!
Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here Guys, a quick question, not ever had to do the AM2 I qualified before that animal was born, is it part of the test for this qualification to test the Motor Winding's as well as the fixed wiring? not trying to confuse the issue, I ask because when carrying out a test on an installation, it's the fixed wiring only, testing Electrical Equipment ( the motor in this scenario) comes under a different code of practice ISITEE. As I said if I have the wrong end of the stick accept my apologies.

Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here Guys, a quick question, not ever had to do the AM2 I qualified before that animal was born, is it part of the test for this qualification to test the Motor Winding's as well as the fixed wiring? not trying to confuse the issue, I ask because when carrying out a test on an installation, it's the fixed wiring only, testing Electrical Equipment ( the motor in this scenario) comes under a different code of practice ISITEE. As I said if I have the wrong end of the stick accept my apologies.
There's no motor fitted, normally just a plate with three test points on so you can do the dead and live tests.

Great,

Really good advice, much appreciated!
So, you can literally do a global test in the whole board. Once c02, heating etc is isolated.
That saves a lot of time.
Don't know if it's just me but are you thinking of attempting a global IR test from the motor terminals?

Reply to Testing and inspection on am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back