Discuss Testing Day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not the kind of day where you walk about with test sheets and meters.

Little information about my house..

5 years old when we arrived there where problems with electrics wiring seemed ok just a few loose connections MCB's not labelled and no blanking plates in the consumer unit neutral in the switch etc. We moaned in the end dad put it right.

Im just starting to re- decorate my office. Im going to move my PC about but i havent got any socks on the one wall so deside ill wire in two on the wall i want my new desk. So empty the room take the carpet up. Look at the two sockets in the room one on the short wall oposite oposite the window ( ill call this one sockets 1 ). The other is on the wall adjacent to the window ill call this socket 2. I wanted the new sockets exsactly oposite socket 2. So Look for the joists and cut out what i thought would be a suitable square between two joists directly below socket 2.

Take it out and find the cables actually run in the next gap between joists the one closest to the outside wall so cant get it up very easily and the cables run at 45 degree's up the wall to the socket. Also find someone possably a plumber has done a nice job of doing a fair bit of damage to a cable on the other side of the joist cutting a 32mm hole taking alot of outer insulation off and going though into the neutral insulation. I looked at it and thought it must be the cable between socket 1 and 2 a continuity test confirmed this. So as i cant get to the cable. I decise to just forget about it and replace it. So sink the box's cut the cable where it goes thought the joist. Use a JB to join a new cable to the cable from socket 1 to run to the new sockets. Then run another new cable from the new sockets to socket 2 to complete the ring which i would drill a new hole in the floor for and run down behind the plaster board.

But encountered some annoying problems. The plasters have filled the bottom foot of the wall with dobbing so cant get the cable though broke two fishing rods in the process. So have to chase down the wall gggrrr drill at a angle though the rest of it behind the skirting and out under the floor. Done so wire all up test ring continuity all good, put floor board back down, carpet down and put the stuff back in the room. Awsome Go in the shower grab a drink sit downstairs then go to turn my cd player on to find it isnt working this is directly below where i have been working. Check my cu all mcb's on, plug a lamp in the socket not working plug the lamp in the socket about 6 ft to the left of the broken socket it works. So grab a screwdrive out my bag take it off and find nothing loose and the cables run up the wall. I then take the other socket off the one that is working and find it's cables come from the left. So i can only guess that for some reason the socket that isnt working is on the upstairs ring and ive cut it out thinking its only the damaged cable lol. So more work why this socket isnt on the downstairs ring ill never know.

Also i dont think the electrician has heard of a hole saw or a spade bit so he just used his hammer.

Testing Day {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Testing Day {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ash

Reply to Testing Day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock