Discuss testing existing installations to current edition of BS 7671 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Simple reason is, because that's what the current Regulations say.
If I am to conduct an inspection in accordance with the current Regulations, then I have to take on board what those Regulations say.
I cannot to my mind ignore them, just because I believe they are wrong.

Lol.
I see you continue to disagree with myself, your registration body and every other registration body in the country.
Knock yourself out.
I'm sorry but where does it suggest anywhere that a non-compliance should be coded differently depending on whether it was permissible at the time of installation? And for that matter, given that you have claimed it, where have the NICEIC suggested that?

There are a number of places where such is suggested.
BS7671, BPGs, advice and guidance from various bodies such as the IET, NICEIC, etc.
The NICEIC just as every other registration body in the country direct their members to the BPGs for guidance.

I would most certainly not make the observation that I have seen made by some: "No RCD in Fuse Box. Code C2."
The reason I have put code C2 or C3, is because my choice of code would depend on whether the installation complied with the requirements at the time of design/construction.
If it did not comply, code C2.
If it did comply, code C3.

You seem to be dismissing me by the stupidity of others judging by your first line there.

Also, BS7671 states that existing installations should be inspected and tested to the current edition, so that's why I asked the question in the OP and that's why you've only served to confuse matters with your response. I guess that's what happens when you're so quick to take an air of superiority.

I've worked for local authority who wanted me to test to the edition the installation was designed in, now I'm studying to become a better inspector and I've read to the contrary so I was hoping to use the experience of others on what is, after all, a forum to gleen a definitive answer. Is that ok by you?

You seem to be dismissing me by the stupidity of others judging by your first line there.

Also, BS7671 states that existing installations should be inspected and tested to the current edition, so that's why I asked the question in the OP and that's why you've only served to confuse matters with your response. I guess that's what happens when you're so quick to take an air of superiority.

I've worked for local authority who wanted me to test to the edition the installation was designed in, now I'm studying to become a better inspector and I've read to the contrary so I was hoping to use the experience of others on what is, after all, a forum to gleen a definitive answer. Is that ok by you?
No, not at all.
That was just me commenting on something that I have seen in the past.

Yes existing installations should inspected and tested to current editions of the Regulations, which is why I queried the suggestion to use a code C2 for a non-compliance with a requirement that ceased to exist in 2008.
I apologise for any confusion or feelings of inferiority caused by my post.

If it were the case that you were being asked to conduct an Initial Verification on an installation designed to an earlier version of the Regulations, then yes you would be expected to conduct your Inspection and Testing to ensure compliance with that earlier version.

If the Local Authority is asking you to Inspect and Test an existing installation to an earlier version, there is no reason from a legal view point why you could not do so.
If I were to conduct such an Inspection, I would be recording the fact that the Inspection has been conducted to the earlier version and that there may be non-compliances with the current version which may render the installation unsafe for continued use.
Good luck with your quest for a definitive answer.

No, not at all.
That was just me commenting on something that I have seen in the past.

Yes existing installations should inspected and tested to current editions of the Regulations, which is why I queried the suggestion to use a code C2 for a non-compliance with a requirement that ceased to exist in 2008.
I apologise for any confusion or feelings of inferiority caused by my post.

If it were the case that you were being asked to conduct an Initial Verification on an installation designed to an earlier version of the Regulations, then yes you would be expected to conduct your Inspection and Testing to ensure compliance with that earlier version.

If the Local Authority is asking you to Inspect and Test an existing installation to an earlier version, there is no reason from a legal view point why you could not do so.
If I were to conduct such an Inspection, I would be recording the fact that the Inspection has been conducted to the earlier version and that there may be non-compliances with the current version which may render the installation unsafe for continued use.
Good luck with your quest for a definitive answer.

Right, let's start again. I'm not here to bicker with anyone and I'm always happy to take heed of others experience.

Genuine question here, which requirement ceased to exist in 2008?

Thanks.

Some direct quotes from these alleged sources would be useful.
I am certain that you are just as able as I am to read the guidance in the BPGs and spot examples.
One example that springs to mind is in relation to lack of RCD protection for circuits of a location containing a bath or shower.
The BPG advises a code C3 where the location has supplementary bonding, whereas code C2 if there is no supplementary bonding.

Right, let's start again. I'm not here to bicker with anyone and I'm always happy to take heed of others experience.

Genuine question here, which requirement ceased to exist in 2008?

Thanks.
The requirement to provide RCD protection for socket-outlets which could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.

The requirement to provide RCD protection for socket-outlets which could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.

So it changed to the all encompassing RCD protection for sockets outlets of 20amp and below? Therefore you would C3 as it's not my place to opine whether it can or will be used to supply outdoor equipment?

I am certain that you are just as able as I am to read the guidance in the BPGs and spot examples.
One example that springs to mind is in relation to lack of RCD protection for circuits of a location containing a bath or shower.
The BPG advises a code C3 where the location has supplementary bonding, whereas code C2 if there is no supplementary bonding.
I think you need to stop referring to the BPG.

Best Practice Guide, essentially a Guide to guide people who aren't competent to do EICRs.

What is the BPG?
Best Practice Guide, published by the Electrical Safety Council, which I believe may be now known as Electrical Safety First or something similar.
What Westwood has not mentioned, is that all of the registration bodies in the U.K. advise their members to use the BPGs for guidance.

Best Practice Guide, published by the Electrical Safety Council, which I believe may be now known as Electrical Safety First or something similar.
What Westwood has not mentioned, is that all of the registration bodies in the U.K. advise their members to use the BPGs for guidance.
I have never been advised to have this Guide, maybe the Bodies recommend it to those who need a bit of "guidance".

Best Practice Guide, essentially a Guide to guide people who aren't competent to do EICRs.

Of course, I just couldn't get the abbreviation

Reply to testing existing installations to current edition of BS 7671 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock