Discuss Testing garage CU for assesment!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

swaley

-
Reaction score
Hi guys I have my assesment in little over a month, and looking for some advice when testing my log cabin.
Do I need to fill out 2 test sheets. As my log cabin has it's own TT system. How would I measure Zs at my cabin? Im aware I Would only have Ze at origin DB.
Sorry been out the game a while and I'm aware I need to really brush up on my testing. Thanks

As Murdoch said, why have you elected for TT? What supply does your main property have?
My property has a PME system. I opted for this because I didnt want any problems to conflict with my main DB and be isolated to log cabin.

Ok. Topic been discussed before on here, and will no doubt be talked about again. I think the consensus on here, is to use the earth supplied by PME system, unless that's something declined by DNO, extraneous pipework in shed/log cabin etc causing issue with bonding or its a hot tub etc. You should just have your rational for your assessment, as you might be asked. There is a download, on supplies to remote buildings, in the resources section, which discuss the options.

As regards testing, your Ze is at your origin (e.g. house CU), unless it has its own distribution circuit, and Zdb at the log cabin CU.

You have a new distribution circuit from the house supply.
Inspect, Measure and test that seperately.
Then you have a separate installation in the shed with an incoming supply from the distribution circuit and outgoing final circuits all RCD protected.
Inspect and test that as a separate item.
If I were filling out the paperwork I would list the distribution circuit as the first item on the schedule of test results and indicate that it was part of the house supply only.
However if I were doing it for an inspection then I would have two EICs, one for each section.

I agree with Richard, if you have a new distribution circuit then the new installation in the log cabin it maybe clearer to an assessor if you produce separate Certs due to the different earthing systems. Which ever way you do it as one Cert or two ensure it is clear especially if you opt for one.

My property has a PME system. I opted for this because I didnt want any problems to conflict with my main DB and be isolated to log cabin.

How does this isolate problems to the log cabin? Unless you’ve installed an isolating transformer in the supply to the log cabin I don’t see how you’ve isolated anything to the log cabin?

If you’ve designed the installation well then the protective devices in the log cabin will operate on any fault in there without affecting the main DB.

What is the Ra of the earth electrode you’ve installed?

Why do I think the OP is unlikely to reply anymore. I do wonder sometimes chaps, if you look at your replies, why anyone is prepared to put their heads above the parapet and ask anything on this forum these days.

Perhaps we all need to get in touch with our feminine sides, present company accepted Sparkychick :)
You never worked on building sites in the 80's did you hun, --- catch you later on Gaydar HoneyBumpkins ;o))))

You never worked on building sites in the 80's did you hun, --- catch you later on Gaydar HoneyBumpkins ;o))))

I penned that especially for you SWD; knew you would like it :)

Actually I recall working on a very cold industrial site in the mid 80's. I recall one of the 'team' turning up one day, as a gay French onion seller, hooped shirt, beret & onions
Testing garage CU for assesment!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
singing 'Some day my Prince will come'. Some of the more straightforward chaps, told us to have a word, before we sort him. Made life interesting :)

I penned that especially for you SWD; knew you would like it :)

Actually I recall working on a very cold industrial site in the mid 80's. I recall one of the 'team' turning up one day, as a gay French onion seller, hooped shirt, beret & onions
Testing garage CU for assesment!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
singing 'Some day my Prince will come'. Some of the more straightforward chaps, told us to have a word, before we sort him. Made life interesting :)
Ahhhhh I was an apprentice at a site in Burnt Oak when on the 15th of February one of the sparks turned up.

He was asked how his Valentines date went with his missus and said not well as he had bought her some stockings and suspenders, she told him to F off and called him a perv and to wear them himself, which he did to work under his jeans and showed us all......... I was 18 he reminded me of Kenny Everett.......

Why do I think the OP is unlikely to reply anymore. I do wonder sometimes chaps, if you look at your replies,

Hum ........... my questions are very relevant, and if full answers are provided, then the OP may avoid the dreaded "fail" or have marks against him to undertake to get this completed.

AND the OP hasn't been on the forum since 1.46pm today .... so fingers crossed he'll be along shortly to update us...

Reply to Testing garage CU for assesment!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock