Discuss Testing IEC Extensions in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulhandy

Hi all and thank you for letting me join the forum !! I do a bit of Pat testing at my work and have been asked to test some of the leads that attach to the IEC leads with the plug on(I.e. to make them longer). As these haven't got their own plugs do they have to be tested as surely they are only as good as the lead they are attached to when tested. Thanks

If you test the plug lead first and get the earth resistance you can subtract that from the earth resistance of the combination and get a worst case scenario of resistance for the extension (since you will also be adding the contact resistance of the joint).
If the insulation resistance of the combination complies then the IR of the extension will comply.
In the comments note "tested with item no xyz"
Alternatively plug the lead into the tester and use probes on the other end.

Reply to Testing IEC Extensions in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Testing earth resistance for a 13A IEC lead. Is tha pass limit still 0.1Ohm + the resistance of the conductor? thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have a limited in house PAT testing requirement and were advised that the TIS700 fitted our needs. The unit works fine for 110V and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, We’ve had a new CNC Machine from China arrive this week. It came with a monitor and a tower to run the software. The monitor and tower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a hobbyist without formal training. I'm looking to power audio/video equipment over several hundred feet of extension cords. I have 2...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and gals, I have a question about the leads to computers (commonly known as kettle leads). I am new to PAT testing so please bear with...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock