Discuss Testing IR with serge protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamminuk

Hi,

Just wondering how you would test IR when there is serge protection in the installation? Would it be a case of linking it out or reducing the test voltage?

Also why would a test for Zs trip RCD? :banghead:

Thanks again in advance

Ben

Hi,

Just wondering how you would test IR when there is serge protection in the installation? Would it be a case of linking it out or reducing the test voltage?

Also why would a test for Zs trip RCD? :banghead:

Thanks again in advance

Ben

You can test at 250V dc but the result must still be greater than 1MOhm.

The voltage is reduced to prevent the SPD from leaking to earth (as it should) at higher voltages.

As for the Zs test, think about the current that the tester is applying between L and E on an earth loop impedance test. ;)

Between which conductors?
Thanks.

Generally, you'd be able to test between all conductors at 250V dc but you'd still be subjected to the same constraints from other sensitive devices (ballasts etc.) that might mean you'd be testing with L+N combined to Earth.

Reply to Testing IR with serge protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, I'm nearly on my AM2 test and really enjoy the industrial side of things so I thought I'd learn by asking. I recently came across...
Replies
Views
So I’m an apprentice and I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the science behind this because the electricians who have said it have...
Replies
Views
I would appreciate some opinions on the following situation... I have been asked to comment on an EICR for a local community resource (church hall...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views
Just your thinking on this… Doing Remedials on a EICR … the DB is a old Wylex with MCB”S/RCD Its a 10 way… rammed packed with cabling,,,the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock