Discuss testing procedure for garage consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PJW

-
Reaction score
I'm in the process of fitting a CU in my workshop can anyone tell me do i do testing at the new 2 way CU as i would on a domestic one or the main one in the house or both? I was thinking both

Before anyone says get a electrician in to do the job i'm a NICEIC domestic installer just not done this kind of job before.

Test the supply cable to the new workshop CU. test for R2, IR, etc.. is the cable suitably rated for the load. is it correct cable and installed correctly.. Also check the earthing... does the workshop have extraneous metal parts? if so and you have PME have you put a rod in or run a suitably sized earth cable to the workshop?
Then test the CU in the workshop as you would any other, i always treat the supply from main cutout/CU as circuit 1. others might just cover the new circuits in the workshop CU.
You may be a NICEIC DI but its a tad disconcerting that you have asked this?

this is the sort of reply i was expecting, shame

You need thicker skin matey.

You will be responsible for the circuit to the garage, the garage cu and all the garage circuits. Plus of course the earthing and bonding in the house.

It is a bit worrying that this is unclear in your mind.

Don't forget to give the client the certificates and the part P notification.

I'm in the process of fitting a CU in my workshop can anyone tell me do i do testing at the new 2 way CU as i would on a domestic one or the main one in the house or both? I was thinking both

Before anyone says get a electrician in to do the job i'm a NICEIC domestic installer just not done this kind of job before.
PJW how come you became a DI with nil qualifications or is the omission on your profile wrong.

NICEIC domestic installer but doesn't know when to test a board? Isn't that a necessary skill to become an NICEIC DI?

It's a new board and requires Initial verification, schedule of test results and schedule of inspection. But you know that, Don't you?

NICEIC domestic installer but doesn't know when to test a board? Isn't that a necessary skill to become an NICEIC DI?

It's a new board and requires Initial verification, schedule of test results and schedule of inspection. But you know that, Don't you?
Apparently not in this case

Gasp, you have won PJW, You are my first "GASP" Post since being allowed back on parole

Reply to testing procedure for garage consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock