Discuss Testing query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

specks

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a quick query. My day job involves testing pre-fabricated buildings for several different industries. As of this the company has had me assessed by the NICEIC to become the QS for the company. I have my 17th edition, HND etc.

A friend is renovating an old house extending it out, they would like me to help. I understand that my NICEIC registration is purely with my employer but can I test the new circuits and issue a non NICEIC cert? Reading in between the lines I need to contact local building control and state what works will be undertaken. They then have the option to see the works at a first/second fix stage. Once complete I need to send a cert off to them and based on what they see they may visit/send a further electrician out to assess the job. Is this correct?

Finally as I mostly use work test equipment does anyone know if my old Robin KTS 1610 is 17th edition compliant? (Needs a cal first!)

Cheers.

Anyone can issue a non NICEIC certificate, they are usually green, or used to be and Mr Davis or Mr Smith across the road could buy them, you can also buy certificates from wholesalers which mean nothing, however whether building control will accept them is a different matter, but at least the works will be certified

IIUC the regs just specify that the installation has to be tested and the cert issued by a competent person. Looking at your vocation and qualifications, if you're not a competent person then God alone knows who is.

My only observation is, if you are charging anything for this work then I would suggest you need to consider whether you might need some kind of indemnity insurance for this work.

Your KTS1610 is probably OK, i had one i think, but it might have been the 1620, cant remember, as long as it does Continuity, Ins Res, RCD trip, PEFC/PSSC, and EFLI, then it is compliant, so once its re-calibrated, your are in business. i liked the old Robin, but unfortunately it died.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Testing query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net