Discuss Testing RCD on shower circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

voltage

How do you test the RCD operation on a shower circuit with the megger 1553 i no how to test it for socket outlets just plug in and test.

But where and how do you test the operation of the RCD for the shower circuit with the megger 1553.

Do i test at the terminals at the shower ?

Any help would be appreciated thanks volt.

RCD operation needs to be verified and tested on every separate circuit.You can test it by using your probes on the relevant connections on the shower unit.

RCD operation needs to be verified and tested on every separate circuit.You can test it by using your probes on the relevant connections on the shower unit.

Don't think that is quite right. You only need to test the RCD as per GN3 and not on every individual circuit of a split CU. Every individual RCD/RCBO would need to be tested individually.

Rubbish, you test at the terminals of the RCD/RCBO with all loads disconnected.

If you have a '17th edition' board (not my terminology) then you only have to test the 2 (or more) RCD devices in the consumer unit once each (full test sequence) and the results are then just duplicated for every circuit that each device covers.

so just test at the consumer unit by dissconnecting the shower line neutral and earth and using all 3 leads test it ?
this is a dead test yes ? so main switch off obviously incoming tails will still be live.

if someone could run through the procedure for a novice that would be great thanks volt

RCD testing is a live test, leave everything connected.
As malcom mentioned above, just connect to Line/Neutral/Earth on load side and test.

so just test at the consumer unit by dissconnecting the shower line neutral and earth and using all 3 leads test it ?
this is a dead test yes ? so main switch off obviously incoming tails will still be live.

if someone could run through the procedure for a novice that would be great thanks volt

If you remove all cables the RCD wouldn't get tested...

It's a 2-lead test on the 1553.

Assuming a 30mA RCD then:

0.5 X I delta n your device should not trip

1 X I delta n your device should trip within 300 mS assuming BS61008/61009

5 X I delta n your device should trip within 40 mS

The 1X and 5 X tests should be carried out at both halves of the wave cycle and the higher result recorded, that is what the 0 and 180 degree button is on the 1553.

if i have a 17th board. x2 RCD's

and i select the shower to test from, i just drop the pullcord and test from there. x1 0 TRIP, X1 180 TRIP, X5 0 TRIP, X5 180 TRIP... AND take two worst readings and record them.

then select another circuit protected by the other RCD. USUALLY sockets so just plug my tester in.

hope this helps

if i have a 17th board. x2 RCD's

and i select the shower to test from, i just drop the pullcord and test from there. x1 0 TRIP, X1 180 TRIP, X5 0 TRIP, X5 180 TRIP... AND take two worst readings and record them.

then select another circuit protected by the other RCD. USUALLY sockets so just plug my tester in.

hope this helps

Thank you sounds like an easier way of testing sorry guys i was getting confused.
So just to clarify at consumer unit have main switch off and RCDs AND MCBS in the on position then go to double pole switch or pullcord and test from their ?

Thank you sounds like an easier way of testing sorry guys i was getting confused.
So just to clarify at consumer unit have main switch off and RCDs AND MCBS in the on position then go to double pole switch or pullcord and test from their ?

Errmmm...

Voltage are you getting paid for doing this work? or are you still training....?

I do worry when I read posts like this.

I suggest you get a sparks in that knows what they are doing...sorry to be blunt but you sound well out of your depth mate.

No not getting paid mate im just trying to think of scenarios i might be faced with after im done with my training etc. I would not undertake any work i was not confident in and did not understand. Im new to this as you can see and im just looking for some guidance its quite alot to take in but im doing my best to make sure i have a good understanding of things before hand.
I've applied to the NICEIC so i will see how my inspection goes but ive always said if that goes well i will undertake my level 2 inspection and testing at college so i gain more confidence before i do any work for customers etc.

Reply to Testing RCD on shower circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock