• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Testing someone else’s work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TomB

-
Reaction score
Evening all!

First post but been a lurker for a while, finding the information on the site very useful when i’ve searched for bits of info and other peoples opinions, as a quick introduction i’m an early 30’s self employed handyman training to become fully qualified electrician.
I have gone down the domestic installer route as a foot on the ladder with one of your favourite schemes but as i’m paying for everything myself and dont have the luxury of a huge bank balance this has worked out the best way for me, by no way do i think i am fully qualified electrician but i am constantly studying and certainly putting the effort in to get there.
I’m after a bit of advice though if you wouldn’t mind. I was changing some light fittings for a customer who asked me to check a socket that she has had someone install.
Initial tests found no earthing what so ever so i told her not to use the socket until it was looked into properly. Anyway the chap thats done it is apparently “more qualified than anyone to do that sort of work” but hasnt issued a minor works and refused to when asked for one.
The customers asked me back to test it which i’m more than willing to do however i don’t want to issue a minor works because i’m not putting my name to it. She basically want to know if its safe and if i can do a report on my findings, she also doesnt want an EICR as the house is only a year or so old.
So after all that my question is... what form can i use to report my findings without making the work look like my own?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Leave it well alone Mate, if Matey won't or can't issue aMNWC he needs outing,reporting,
EICR as suggested, with the caveat, " are you qualified, experienced, competent enough, do you have the necessary test gear to enable you to test an installation and issue an EICR?

Initial tests found no earthing what so ever so i told her not to use the socket until it was looked into properly. Anyway the chap thats done it is apparently “more qualified than anyone to do that sort of work
now that rings a bell ,I went to test a customer property and she had the same problem .

Reply to Testing someone else’s work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back