Discuss Testing unit supplied from inverter in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

K-PAT

Hello all, I’ve been asked a question which is puzzling afew people, so I’m trying to get a definitive answer.
An organisation who I do some testing for is fittinginverters in vehicles so that laptops can be used. The inverters are wired intothe vehicles 12v system and a cable is plugged into the inverter’s 3 pin socketoutlet. This cable runs to a 3 pin outlet which is fitted in the rear of theglove box, so everything in the circuit is hidden out of sight. The questionis, does the cable from the inverter to the 3 pin outlet in the glovebox need to be PAT tested. It can be unpluggedfrom the inverter, but it is fixed to the vehicle and the outlet socket on theother end is fixed as well.
I would welcome anyone’s views on this.
Thanks for looking…K-PAT

What do you think?

My own thought is that as the lead can be unplugged from theinverter and therefore possibly plugged into a mains supply, then it should betested as an extension lead. The people involved in the vehicle project havehad conflicting advice from various sources , hence contacting me for anopinion.

if it plugs in then its a Pat test on the extension lead but I would be more worried about how I was going to do a EIRC on the inverter circuit and has the supply got a earth stake/rcd lol

Last edited by a moderator:
if it plugs in then its a Pat test on the extension lead but I would be more worried about how I was going to do a EIRC on the inverter circuit and has the supply got a earth stake/rcd lol

Yes, I agree. The inverter that they are intending to use has an RCD on the 230v outlet. As the inverter will be hard wired into the 12v vehicle system, they will have to devise a way of checking that as part of the vehicle inspections.

Reply to Testing unit supplied from inverter in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net