Discuss Testing Zs on an IPS system? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to test the Earth Fault Loop Impedance on a monitored circuit such as IPS?

I have found in the past that even a Martindale Socket Voltage Tester can trip out the circuit as it is monitored.

I also found that no matter which way the neutral and line test probes were, the meter showed cross polarity. Is this due to the monitoring system?

Much appreciated.

It's not something I'm familiar with, but could you measure R1+R2 for the circuit and add it to Zdb?

Actually, if it's a power system supplied by an isolating transformer, my earlier answer is wrong as there would be no reference to earth on the final circuit.

Yes IPS is Isolated Power System.

It's commonly used in operating theatres.

I have spoken to several electricians who have worked there and none of them know :S

Zs is fairly meaningless on an IT system and I doubt you would want to test it in the usual way, as you will only see the monitoring input rather than any kind of supply impedance. R2 will confirm that the CPC is intact and any other tests would surely be as specified by the IPS manufacturer.

The tester will not be able to identify the polarity of an IT system, and since neither circuit conductor will be sufficiently close to earth for it to decide it's the neutral, it will show incorrect polarity either way. Most MFTs are intended to live their lives in TN-land!

Actually, if it's a power system supplied by an isolating transformer, my earlier answer is wrong as there would be no reference to earth on the final circuit.

In a healthy condition your right, but not on the occurrence of a first fault, but then the monitoring device will be letting everyone know that a (first) fault has occurred. Monitored IT supplies can commonly be called ''double fault'' supply.

Monitored IT supplied systems such as you would find in hospital operating theatres are designed along with other associated provisions, to provide a secure means of power without putting patients at risk...

Another area where IT supplies would regularly be seen, is in the mining industry....

Reply to Testing Zs on an IPS system? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock