Discuss testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

brenfox

I was conducting a zs test on a 3 phase isolator and the terminals were sparking and snarling when i placed my probes onto them. This has never happened before and i am struggling to understand why it happened on this occasion. It was a 3 lead test: live,neutral, earth etc. It happened across all 3 phases but it gave me results of 0.85ish ohms which seemed correct.

This dos not sound at all good.
I would initially think that all the terminals were loose on the cores, but this sounds extreme for every termination.
Are you also sure that you were not testing phase to phase and earth, which could well be straining the meter if it is not designed for 400V.
Generally it is a good idea to find a fault before continuing with a potentially hazardous operation.

If you get a dirty terminal or poor conection of the test probe to the terminal you are testing you could get a spark i have seen this on the earth terminal when it was corodid

I was replacing a TPN board for a new TPN board then conducting an NIC report. My company had given me 4 hours to complete the job (ridiculous i know). You are right in thinking loose terminations create sparks etc. Terminations were tight, the isolator had a neutral, earth and 3 phase. 3 lead test with my trusted tester and sparks were flowing. I got the ZS reading I was hoping for. Been doing this a while now and was hoping someone was going to explain the science behind it!Phase to phase and my tester would definitely let me know!

I was replacing a TPN board for a new TPN board then conducting an NIC report. My company had given me 4 hours to complete the job (ridiculous i know). You are right in thinking loose terminations create sparks etc. Terminations were tight, the isolator had a neutral, earth and 3 phase. 3 lead test with my trusted tester and sparks were flowing. I got the ZS reading I was hoping for. Been doing this a while now and was hoping someone was going to explain the science behind it!Phase to phase and my tester would definitely let me know!
What, 4 hours to replace a TPN DB and test?? How many circuits?

What, 4 hours to replace a TPN DB and test?? How many circuits?
Yep. 4 of 3 phase circuits and 7 single phase circuits. Pinewood studios in Cardiff. Massive place with restricted areas. I am currently seeking other opportunites!

Crazy wanting it done in 4 hours that!

It happens on my old AVO earth fault meter, it doesn't have a test button, as soon as power is on the leads it starts. So it used to spark as you put the leads on but if you put the leads on in a certain way it wouldn't do it.

That's on old meter though...what meter are you using?.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Crazy wanting it done in 4 hours that!

It happens on my old AVO earth fault meter, it doesn't have a test button, as soon as power is on the leads it starts. So it used to spark as you put the leads on but if you put the leads on in a certain way it wouldn't do it.

That's on old meter though...what meter are you using?.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
I mainly use my Kewtek 17th edition testers. I like using dedicated testers rather than the multi function kind. Still unsure why it happened, only logical explanation for sparks is loose terminals.

Reply to testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock