Discuss testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

ste-b

hi all, in previous talks there has been confliction due to my lack of experience, however my latest experience has made me think!
At a job doing none sparky work, when 2 sparkies arrive to fit new c/u!about 6 hours including bonding water & gas, testing all done @ c/u, no instruments removed, ir testing ok link r1 with rn, no r1 r2 testing @ sockets, no bulbs removed, this being a new c/u how did they test everything? experienced sparkies? is there a sparky short cut to testing?
I am very conscientious person who has done city & guilds + 17th edition.
look forward to a positive reply.
Ste-b

How many circuit, how long did the take and how much did they charge, what do you mean "no instruments removed" sorry see you said 6 hours.

Think OP saying little testing done of existing circuits, especially RFC, light bulbs left in place, so not all of lighting circuits IR tested etc.

So on an EICR

Linking R1&RN together and then global testing between this and the earth bar is common practice, seen it done hundreds of time, do it myself when the need arises. the purpose is that you are testing ALL live conductors to earth, by doing it this way, you ensure that and vulnerable equipment that may have been missed is not damaged as 500v L&N = no potential. this method is ideal for buildings such as HMO's etc where you can never be 100% sure that all loads are disconnected. in this occasion it would not be necessary to remove lamps but would still be necessary to operate all switches. a side not is that the NICEIC accept this practice.

As far as the other points that you raised, It is the inspector who decides and sets the degree (%) of circuits inspected, tested and dismantled. so as a inspector you are within your rights to set the amount of points dismantled to 0%, however this should be all recorded on the certificate, and is then a matter for the client to decide if this is acceptable.

However as the certificate is being issued as a result of a CU change, you would be required to issue a EIC, now the key differences in this instance are:

On a new installation ALL IR tests should be carried out (Although care should still be taken testing L-N in an occupied property) also an EIC gives no requirement to dismantle anything as it is for installations and the assumption is that inspections should take place before final assembly or pinning back, so in the case of a cu change the inspector should dismantle enough outlets that he satisfies himself that a thourough inspection has taken place.

Regards

Aiden

check for vulnerable instruments in the circuit, no linking for rfc, do some people have a pre-set chart & just go off these figures? charge was £550, just wondered if there were quicker ways of testing, i would have done a full check of everything.
How are they getting Zs readings? Furthest point? Never moved from c/u.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a common misconception that everything has to be tested when replacing a DB.
The Regulations only require that the work conducted be tested and that it complies.
It is a requirement that before any work is conducted, that the existing equipment is suitable for any alteration or addition, and that the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate.

At some stage a decision has been made to replace these DBs.
It is very likely that prior to that decision being made an inspection and most likely testing took place, as you say bonding was installed.
Unless there is a great deal of time between testing and the work being conducted, there would be no noticeable deterioration in the installation.

That would be nice to think, but this is quite old house, i have been there doing other work, sparky came looked said needed new c/u, quoted price, came & fitted, I think Pete999 has the best answer - guesswork. I presume it does happen.

That would be nice to think, but this is quite old house, i have been there doing other work, sparky came looked said needed new c/u, quoted price, came & fitted, I think Pete999 has the best answer - guesswork. I presume it does happen.

ste-b, it looks like you have already formed your opinion of the electricians who carried out the work, i.e that they have not tested correctly and quite possibly you are right. The important thing is that you state you would test correctly so thats ok. There is no 'short cut' method to testing after/during/before changing a CU, you basically do the tests that are requested on the EIC. Perhaps the only 'short cut' is combining L-N and testing to earth for the IR tests, however I would only use this method if I had at least tried to remove all loads first.

I think it's really important to try and remember during every job that you are dealing with electrics and that what you are doing could be life threatening if you do not do it properly either because you are tired, pushed for time or simply stressed. Also it helps me to do the best job each time by taking genuine pride in my work, when you walk away you feel good about what you have done and that really is a type of payment. I know that sounds abit ----y but it keeps me enjoying pretty much every job I do.

Last edited:

Reply to testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net