Discuss testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

snowplough

Hi Folks,
just wondered if you could help me answer a mock 2391 paper,

Q. State three circumstances which would result in the inspector carrying out a survey of the electrical installation before carrying out a periodic inspection.

Many Thanks

Locket

Have a look at GN3 3.8.1. General procedures

Where no chart diagrams or tables are available a degree of explority work is required and a survey to locate Switchgear etc.

Hope this helps

Where there is no paperwork, EICs and PIRs, a lack of circuit diagrams or charts and where there have been changes in use or changes in the building structure.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply to that.

i wonder if you could help me with another one im unclear about ,

When you do an insulation res test say on C.U and your wanting to test all the circuits say that are on it , if you isolate main switch remove all loads ,dimmers spd, then you put you test probes on the isolation switch screws(supply side) and test L-N L-E E-N AS normal that seems straight forward.
What if its a split board say with an RCD protecting half of the board, will the rcd keep tripping when you do the above combinations if so would you have to test above each cb seperatly with all cb,s and RCD switched off. I no it says to remove rcds in gn3 when doing ir tests but on a split board how can you do ir on it all .

Regards

LOCKET

AS i +p /u has said remove the RCD , if you dont you could do ireperable damage to the RCD electronics ,never carry out IR tests with the RCD in circuit especially at 500volts ,and the reason the RCD does trip when you do do it is because it identifying an inbalance on the circuit , but dont do it

Thanks for that,

So your saying the rcd comes off on the split board leaving you to be able do IR test from main breaker as i stated originally.

Ijust wonder why when i did this test at college on a split board from main breaker why my lecturer never told me to remove the rcd from the db

Many thanks

Locket

Cheers Nickblake,

If you test at main switch on a split board say will it still trip the rcd doing an IR test between l+n l+e n+e even if they are not electrically connected anywhere in the circuit ? because i thought rcd tripped due to an imbalance of current between l+n, but if in an IRtest there is no short any where (high reading) then there is no complete circuit ,no current ,no inbalance so why would RCDtrip.

Regards

Locket

Reply to testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock