Discuss Tests for replacement consmer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jon_

-
Reaction score
Could you tell me whether most of the tests carried out for a Domestic Electrical Installation Report would have to be repeated if a replacement consumer unit is subsequently fitted?

Could you tell me whether most of the tests carried out for a Domestic Electrical Installation Report would have to be repeated if a replacement consumer unit is subsequently fitted?
If it was you who carried out the EICR a few days previous I would use the same reads, however I would redo Zs and obviously any any new residual current device tests.

Yes. Continuity of cpcs/ring final conductors/ main protective bonds, insulation resistance, polarity, Ze/Zs, rcd/rcbo tests.

Look at Best practice guide no 1 for a CU change
Earthing and bonding continuity
Global IR test need L/N to Earth is acceptable
RFC continuity
Polarity

Last edited:
I'd retest ze, ring continuity, zs for each circuit and obviously any new rcds. If you feel you have to retest insulation then something has gone very wrong with the new install.

That being said, if someone else had done the eicr I'd do a full retest. Some EICR's are tested using eyeballs and imagination, not test meters!

Full test IMO is the only way. On old houses needing a CU, it's normal to find lots of faults. Open rings, reversed sockets, no CPC, borrowed neutrals, nails in cables, no bonding, inadequate earth, mice...Just so many problems... I have spent a week doing CU on 2 bed houses before.
It pays to spend long enough beforehand to tell customer up-front what to expect, then build that into quote with a further contingency for unknown faults . I tend to try to do 80% of the tests with the old CU in place, ideally the day before. Also get all major faults fixed then, because once new CU is in, you'd have otherwise A) connected in faulty circuits, or B) maybe lost the will of the Customer to pay more, since they see the shiny unit and assume it's done. -Puts you in a spot.
Doing it up-front means that where it's really bad, I can tell them without first having destroyed the old set-up. Basically an EICR every time, but without the paperwork (since that's all built in to the subsequent EIC ). Working alone, where circuits need extending (really common), new tails/EC/bonding etc (really common) , and faults fixed (nearly always necessary, sometimes taking ages..), there's just not enough hours in a day to do it all and switch it on the same evening knowing it's safe. - It's just not worth the risk of getting caught short at 9PM after a tough twelve hour day.
I nearly never do a CU in 1 day, and only connect one in when I am 80% sure of all the tests results already, making finishing the testing and sealing possible the same day.

Good post @1Justin - I spent 4 hours testing an old installation and noting my readings then labelling in order to have an easier time of changing the CU this week. Left it working with a couple of circuits, that didn't need to be on there to function, disconnected until new CU.
I don't think that many things are as quick as you think they will be, double the time you think and you'll be closer.

I assumed testing before, I think the op meant: testing first, cu swap, after cu swap was a full test necessary. But always test first.

Reply to Tests for replacement consmer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock