Discuss Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I called SELECT's technical advice helpline and was advised that I could proceed with the EICR and record all the CU testing and inspection as limitations. I was also advised that all I would be able to do regarding the board being inaccessible is record a C3 code against item 4:1 of the report and advise the property owner that the consumer be relocated. That said, an unsatisfactory outcome would be inevitable given that there is no RCD protection present for the downstairs sockets. Just that one C2 code on it's own is enough. And I can't even consider the easier option of re-routing the downstairs ring through a stand-alone RCD as I can't remove the CU cover to make the alteration! A board change is therefore the only viable option here.

I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not the buffoon who installed the boiler was obliged to issue a certificate for the work and/or register the job with GasSafe. Since I'm not conversant with gas regulations I can't comment on whether installing a gas boiler literally inches away from an electrical supply where sparks may be generated is permissible or be considered safe. Surely not?

I've seen some really bad plumbing installations over the years, but this one really takes the biscuit. I went to do an EICR yesterday afternoon, but had to abandon the job as I was unable to gain access to the main switch, or even remove the cover from the board. Completely unacceptable. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

View attachment 40751

View attachment 40752

I'm wondering if any gas regulations have been breached here. I'm also wondering if wetpants has to issue a certificate when he does boiler installations. The homeowner says she wasn't given a certificate for the work. She is hopping mad and will be speaking with her solicitor first thing tomorrow.
They are not gas engineers, the correct title is Gas Fitters.

this is the type of poop jockey that when you have wired in a new build, they come in the day after and stuff their pipes through the same holes, i dont even think it saves them any time doing it this way either, it takes a few seconds to drill a hole, unless your tools are ----.

plumber once did that on me with plastic pipes. had to cut them in several places to get them out of my holes which i had drilled the day before. wet-pants was not pleased.

The customer has agreed to have a new consumer unit installed. I just hope there is some slack left on the cables, but I'm not holding my breath. This isn't a job that I'm particularly looking forward to. I'll post some photos after the changeover is complete.

As there is no isolator between the meter and the board, I'll either need to get the DNO to come and pull the main fuse, or leave a glass of milk and some cookies out for the seal fairy. :)

The customer has agreed to have a new consumer unit installed. I just hope there is some slack left on the cables, but I'm not holding my breath. This isn't a job that I'm particularly looking forward to. I'll post some photos after the changeover is complete.

As there is no isolator between the meter and the board, I'll either need to get the DNO to come and pull the main fuse, or leave a glass of milk and some cookies out for the seal fairy. :)
unless youre charging several thousand is it really worth the aggro?

Small ball-peen hammer, hit plasterboard =15mm pipe entry
big hammer, hit plasterboard=22mm pipe entry
Leave plasterer to make good...
seen it so many times...lazy bas**rds!
They actually did that in my house, as I watched, and I sent them off-site and refused to pay...their gaffer came round threatening me...small ball-peen hammer in driver's door of his Range Rover and he never bothered me again.
Actually watched a "plumber" smash a 4" diameter hole in flooring chipboard with a hammer, to install a WC waste outlet once...
honestly, why not just drill a hole?
Makes me very angry!!!

Today I decided that the time had arrived for my first-year apprentice to gain valuable experience in k̶n̶e̶e̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶m̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶u̶p̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ installing a consumer unit. This is the job that he did under my strict supervision and guidance ......

20180226_194649.jpg

Well done son ..... take a bow.

20180226_194649.jpg

This is what we discovered when we managed to get the cover off of the old board .....

20180220_100629.jpg

It gets worse folks ..... much worse. When we got to the garage we found this monstrosity .......

20180220_102807.jpg 20180220_102814.jpg

In the kitchen .....

20180220_143419.jpg

20180220_143430.jpg

And this .....

20180220_143522.jpg

Then this .....

20180220_143513.jpg

We then found these abominations lurking underneath the worktops .....

20180220_143314.jpg

20180220_144242.jpg

There's even more to come .....

Heading up into the loft .....

20180220_164911.jpg

The ducting, incidentally, had been terminated directly into the loft insulation.

20180220_164907.jpg

20180220_145736.jpg

And to complete an all-round DIY disaster, the deranged maniac who did the 'plumbing' work decided to try and melt some cables in the process .....

20180220_101042.jpg

The case for electricians being recognised as a regulated profession is yet again proven to be just, wholly necessary and beyond further debate. The Scottish Government needs to get its ---- together and do something about the shocking state of electrical installations in Scotland. And soon.

Alas, wee Jimmy Sturgeon and her c̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶s̶t̶ nationalist government are more interested in trying to push a second independence referendum and sucking-up to the EU than they are in taking affirmative action against the dangerous people who imperil themselves and others by working on electrical installations while not possessing the necessary skills, knowledge and expertise. Shame on you SNP. You are an utter disgrace. Do we have to wait until someone is killed before you lot do anything? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Actually watched a "plumber" smash a 4" diameter hole in flooring chipboard with a hammer, to install a WC waste outlet once...
honestly, why not just drill a hole?
Makes me very angry!!!
I've just finished fixing the floor at mine in prep for new carpets. Yep, same single tool set used for rad pipes in the past. I've yet to meet a Tool Tart in the plumbing ranks. There must be some?

Heading up into the loft .....

View attachment 41040

The ducting, incidentally, had been terminated directly into the loft insulation.

View attachment 41041

View attachment 41042

And to complete an all-round DIY disaster, the deranged maniac who did the 'plumbing' work decided to try and melt some cables in the process .....

View attachment 41043

The case for electricians being recognised as a regulated profession is yet again proven to be just, wholly necessary and beyond further debate. The Scottish Government needs to get its **** together and do something about the shocking state of electrical installations in Scotland. And soon.

Alas, wee Jimmy Sturgeon and her c̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶s̶t̶ nationalist government are more interested in trying to push a second independence referendum and sucking-up to the EU than they are in taking affirmative action against the dangerous people who imperil themselves and others by working on electrical installations while not possessing the necessary skills, knowledge and expertise. Shame on you SNP. You are an utter disgrace. Do we have to wait until someone is killed before you lot do anything? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
that CU has got more stickers than Tesco's "reduced to clear" section.

Great pics JK! I suppose if ALL the reds and blacks throughout were transposed you could just sticker the CU accordingly...
Or maybe not!
Wilko, no tool tarts in the plumbing ranks...yet the guy who fitted my boiler managed to "acquire" my nice new Bahco adjustable wrench.
He made the hole in the wall for the flue with a brick bolster, and it was rough, i mean ROUGH! and 2 " too high, so had to sit the boiler on a slab...I could go on...

Reply to Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net