• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss THE ANNOYING PARTS OF RUNNING YOUR ELECTRICAL BUSINESS in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a qualified electrician and have been for 20 years now (Although not on tools right now). I'm in the process of putting together a course that guides/helps/coaches and provides systems for people to conquer their pain points. I've experienced the long days, then getting home and having to invoice or put together quotations or complete certificates but I want to know what you find an absolute pain in the a*se that takes up the time you should be spending with your family or friends.

I appreciate your honesty guys and girls!

Hi,there is only one answer. It's "people".

Now,these people,could be customers,they could be suppliers,they could be running schemes,writing regulations,maybe just cutting you up at junctions...they could EVEN be on forums!

But yes,the answer,is people :)
Well I’m not sure I can do anything about that!! Lol although..you wouldn’t have a business without them..I took a business from nothing to 2 million in the service industry and believe me I understand where you are coming from

Well I’m not sure I can do anything about that!! Lol although..you wouldn’t have a business without them..I took a business from nothing to 2 million in the service industry and believe me I understand where you are coming from

If that is 2 million pounds,that is admirable...if it is 2 million strongly worded email complaints,then,less so ;)

I'm one of the slightly older generation:),who collectivise the terms HR,IT and service industry,to an understandable,visual image.

I cannot hear the term "service industry",without picturing the bar tender,in "The Shining"...can't help it :rolleyes:

If that is 2 million pounds,that is admirable...if it is 2 million strongly worded email complaints,then,less so ;)

I'm one of the slightly older generation:),who collectivise the terms HR,IT and service industry,to an understandable,visual image.

I cannot hear the term "service industry",without picturing the bar tender,in "The Shining"...can't help it :rolleyes:
Yes 2 Million pounds, although not easy! probably better put as "field service industry" interesting that you collectivise HR, IT & Service, although thank you for the insight :)

So called "wholesalers" who think they only have to cover a 12 month warranty despite products they sell having longer warranties ...

Yes Electrifix, I'm referring to you!

Thanks for your input, what do you mean by cutting invoices?
I mean creating and printing an invoice.
If you pay money into your bank account you need to be able to account where it came from.
It saves you a lot of aggro from your accountant/HMRC.
Oh just thought of a couple more painful things
1. The whole appalling confusing and over complicated process of self assessment income tax. Where you have to pay tax IN ADVANCE of earning anything.
2. Customers who think they will save money by purchasing their own materials.

Hi,there is only one answer. It's "people".

Now,these people,could be customers,they could be suppliers,they could be running schemes,writing regulations,maybe just cutting you up at junctions...they could EVEN be on forums!

But yes,the answer,is people :)

This wins.

Apart from having to spend long hours working and traveling around to look at jobs, sometimes spending large chunks of your working day stuck in traffic jams/roadworks, or looking for somewhere to park your van, making multiple journeys up and down the eight flights of stairs of a typical Glasgow tenement building as you transport your gear from your van to the top-floor flat, having to work for pennies because you messed-up on your estimation of how long you thought it would take to do the job against how long it actually took you, staying up into the wee small hours dealing with telephone messages, website enquiries, e-mail correspondence, typing-up certificates/quotations/ordering materials and processing your monthly CIS tax return, rearranging your schedule at short notice because the plasterer/plumber/builder hasn't turned-up at a priorly agreed time, chasing customers for monies owed, having to compete against young boys who work for pocket-money, having to spend a small fortune in training courses, replacement tools/plant/equipment and insurance policies, and having to deal with arrogant, obnoxious, impatient ----s, running your own electrical contracting business is a barrel of laughs.

Reply to THE ANNOYING PARTS OF RUNNING YOUR ELECTRICAL BUSINESS in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back