Discuss The Big Green Book! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dunc

-
Reaction score
Well, BS7671 2008: Amendment 1 is due out next month but so far I can find next to nowt when it comes to useful information on what is changing. So far i know the following parts are being added.

• New section 444 – Measures against electromagnetic disturbances
  • New section 534 – Devices for protection against over voltage. Selection of surge protection devices (SPD)
  • New section 710 – Medical locations
  • New section 729 – Operating or maintenance gangways
  • Appendix 6 – New model forms for certification and reporting – this covers the new Electrical Installation condition Report (EICR) which supersedes the Periodic Inspection Report (PIR)
The amendments also cover minor works changes which relate to exceptions regarding RCD protection

Since most of my work is in the domestic sector i can ignore some of the changes as they are very unlikely to effect me in my day to day work but other sections i'm not so sure about. For example does anyone know what changes sections 444 and 534 will have on a domestic install? Am i going to have to start fitting surge suppressors when ever i change a consumer unit? Anyone got any info or links that would be of use? There was so much more info freely available before the BRB was brought out but i can't seem to find much regarding the BGB! :32:

No significant changes for us domestic chaps

Surge protection to be 'given consideration' on new build, So no need to worry.

Only real issue for me is change in PIR

No change on RCD protection

Well, BS7671 2008: Amendment 1 is due out next month but so far I can find next to nowt when it comes to useful information on what is changing. So far i know the following parts are being added.

Since most of my work is in the domestic sector i can ignore some of the changes as they are very unlikely to effect me in my day to day work but other sections i'm not so sure about. For example does anyone know what changes sections 444 and 534 will have on a domestic install? Am i going to have to start fitting surge suppressors when ever i change a consumer unit? Anyone got any info or links that would be of use? There was so much more info freely available before the BRB was brought out but i can't seem to find much regarding the BGB! :32:

There is little to affect the domestic side of things other than the introduction of the EICR in place of the PIR.

Had my assessment last week and the area guy said they're restructuring all the regs numbers, so any new books you get or new versions of any guidance notes won't tally up without the new book.

Had my assessment last week and the area guy said they're restructuring all the regs numbers, so any new books you get or new versions of any guidance notes won't tally up without the new book.

Quite correct, new numbering denotes a UK regulation or a Harmonised Document regulation by the type of number allocated.

An example of what IQ is saying is:
The introduction of a new numbering system for UK-specific regulations (to differentiate them from harmonised European/International regulations).
For example, the current regulation 422.3.14 relating to flexible cables will become 422.3.100

quoted from switched on magazine, issue 21

Since when. I joined last week for my favourite price of £0.00. :party:

What did you join though?

Spin's right in that the minimum to actually join the IET is £123.00 but it's free to register for the forum services etc.

IET membership fees - The IET

Have you actually ordered it? How did you get the discount?
I'm a forum member and adding the book to basket shows a discount total of £0

Exactly Archy, that was what I was expecting, the discount was for IET members, not just forum members.

Why should a free forum membership result in a discount when we have to pay a minimum of £123.00 for IET membership?

Reply to The Big Green Book! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net