Discuss The great pat testing scam in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

simple answer to the EAWR question All of the above but ultimitly the engineer doing the work specialy when the excuse for substandard work would be that all we can afford as for ur Until thats HSE all over at most firms

I told some bloke recently, £2.00 an item....."How much!!!???" was the reply, "Ive been quoted 75p an item" I explained what I did and what it involved and got the contract.....Shocked at my own sales ability!!!
we as a small company charge for large installations for which we have a few £1.75 per item, for small companies with smaller amount of items we charge 2.00 , i have seen while in large multi floor offices leads double marked with stickers and the same with almost every appliance in there two tests two stickers"" scanking *******s"" so when we tested it there was neerly half the ammount than previously,we pointed out what had been done to which the head of h&s replied thats what the regs said so she was told, i'm not gonna name this company on ere as it is a very large electrical company niciec reg as some of you lads might work for them lol..

30p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The quality of the cheapee testers has to be questioned

I think it is at that stage now where the testing is not performed properly except by those charging a proper rate that actually earns them a living. Unfortunately most company management now is accountant and price driven only price matters not quality or safety

Under the EAWR I wonder who will be left holding the "baby" if something goes wrong will it be the employer, the buyer for buying in sub standard work or the company actually doing the testing, until somebody is killed and the precedent is set we will never know.

Thing is if you buy a £30, 000 car for £5000 in the eyes of the law you are guilty of handling stolen goods as it is obviously nicked at that price.......

If your buying PAT @ 35p an item you are quite obviously buying a substandard service......

are you guilty of breaching HSE regulations???? PROBABLY!

Last edited:
Bit of an update.
The caretaker said that the testers had claimed 6000 appliances tested,there were 3 blokes and they were there 3 days.
Now if you allow them a standard 8hr day....(somewhat generous as their vans were gone by 3-4pm when I saw them)...that makes 666 appliances per man per day.....or one every 43 seconds.
Not bad going I reckon.

They are obviously taking the ****, I pride myself on my PAT testing capabilities and take pride in my Engineer status. However 43 seconds to test an item, talk about taking their time. I can look at any plug and put a sticker on it in 8 seconds flat :D go on try me.....

Hi guys,

I read through some of the bits and the general theme seems to be that we are being ripped off by people who are not actually doing what they say they do and are charging customers who believe that the job is being done properly. Would this not be a case for trading standards? It would certainly make me sick having done the 2377 course, bought a tester and quoted an honest rate to have this happen.
It sounds like it is a scam and as such should be exposed. Of course it does need the trading standards guys to be actually ineterested and also the customer to be a bit offended to support them.

Good luck,

Rex

At the stupidly low prices being quoted I don't see how these companies can cover the overheads of training, test equipment, office equipment and transport. I can understand that money can be made from the repair of the faults found but they don't make much effort to find them when they only have enough time to attach a sticker

At the stupidly low prices being quoted I don't see how these companies can cover the overheads of training, test equipment, office equipment and transport. I can understand that money can be made from the repair of the faults found but they don't make much effort to find them when they only have enough time to attach a sticker

Hit the nail on the head there UNG, you would think that these testing companies charging these low prices look at PATesting as a loss leader, making up their profits on repairs. However with the paucity of skill or willingness displayed by their workforce so far I should imagine any repairs would be bodged also. (Or are they claiming for repairs anyway without actually doing anything?)

Hi guys,

I read through some of the bits and the general theme seems to be that we are being ripped off by people who are not actually doing what they say they do and are charging customers who believe that the job is being done properly. Would this not be a case for trading standards? It would certainly make me sick having done the 2377 course, bought a tester and quoted an honest rate to have this happen.
It sounds like it is a scam and as such should be exposed. Of course it does need the trading standards guys to be actually ineterested and also the customer to be a bit offended to support them.

Good luck,

Rex

I dont think most of those who are on the recieving end of pat testing give a ---- on the quality of work they are getting.To them it is just another inconvenience and expense they could do without.....as long as they have fullfilled their legal requirement to have it done thats all that matters. Thats how these guys get away with it.

The HSE website actually states in as many words (and a picture) that PAT isn't a legal requirement. It can however show compliance with parts 4 (properly maintained) and 5 (proper strength and capability) of EAWR, which is a legal requirement, provided they are 'competent' to do so in order to comply with part 16 (competent persons).
The main reason organisations get PAT done is because insurance companies, licensing authorities etc require it.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.pdf

wire puller i know what you mean brain dead work but little outlay and pays the bill but why do guys like this get away with it, and example i came accross when i was a regional manager for a card co .i hated that job by the way im a tools man , i was doing some work in an office ( all suited up tie and all ,and the company PAT Test guy came round plonked his tester down put the kettle on plugged three 4 way extensions together plugged in all 12 appliances into the leads and then pressed test whilst drinking coffee did nothing else exept put sticker on passed , one of my jobs was to replace a damaged cable on the vac oh he passed it , he left ,so i waited half an hour and rang his boss ,and back he came ,asking me who the hell i was soon shut up when i said i was an electrical engineer made him do the lot again ...without the coffee lol

oh and Aberystwyth university were charging £25.00 per item to test students equipment last year

This plug was on an electric heater in the corner of an office, quite literally surrounded by piles (above knee height) of loose A4 sheets and files.. this was done by a well known electrical company in the Rubery area of Birmingham..

The arcing has actually burn a hole completely through the bottom of the plug, Im not sure of the melting temperature of these plugs but I was appalled.

The owner told me that the electrician doing the testing said he didn't need to open the plugs, it was just a PASS/FAIL on the tester.

When I did my City & Guilds PAT testing course, they never once mentioned or showed the students how to open, check, or fit a plug!!

Attachments

• burn01.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 86
  • burn03.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 60
  • burn04.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 71
Stupid thing is how often do we come accross situations like that , i had exactly the same situation on a plug for a kettle ,red sticker on the kettle and the plug , yet they still used it , well did untill i cut the plug off, that stopped them , walked across the road bought a new kettle at £7.50 from tesco,s ,cheaper than the place burning down

i was supprised by the amount of people that pulled a face on the first day in the workshop on the 2330 when they had us doing plugs and commando plugs ect. they were all going this is rubbish, you get the gist... well when they came round to examing what had been done by at least 75% lets just say they had to go back to the bench and re-do them. was a lot quieter the second time round and a lot of embarrassed faces

Recently during an interview with a large PAT testing company I was told that they expect 1,100 assets inspected and tested per week and that they believe it is quite achievable on many sites, and suggested that they might offer bonuses beyond 1,100 assets.

This means they were aiming at 220 units per day.

You can't say that its impossible to 200 tests a day, I can quite easily pull off 200 tests on a good day in the right environment.

It really varies, it depends on what PAT testing eqpt you use, your method of logging results, and mostly the environment you are working in.

Lets just say you enter an IT room for a large company, and you find 3 plastic crates full of spare IEC power leads, you telling me you couldn't knock out 200 tests in 3-4 hours just sitting in a chair at a desk?

On the flip side of the coin, if you're testing all of the equipment for a Mechanical/Electrical Facilities maintenance company, and its all 110v/400v tools, leads and the kind then I will struggle to hit 140 tests a day, sometimes less.

I don't like people saying if you're doing 200 tests a day, then your just slapping stickers on without testing. Those peeps saying that are either jealous, getting the wrong environments, have not developed the most efficient systems to carry out PAT testing from liasing with the clients, developing a labelling system, carrying out the testing, etc, or are just not motivated to work with a sense of urgency about them.

I heard somebody quote me a figure of 400 tests a day for one-person.... now I feel they must be just sticking labels everywhere without testing. But thats just because I feel I have developed the best systems available for PAT testing effectively and efficiently.

Maybe Im wrong, I dunno.

Also, I will only take a couple of "smoke breaks" during a full day of PAT testing, I never eat or stop for lunch as I feel this makes me sluggish and slow.

Reply to The great pat testing scam in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net