Discuss The Highs an' Lows of the Sole Trader Market in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
Mods - this may be more suitable for The Leccy Arms but not sure if I have access so delete / move if unsuitable.

I've had a bit of a dry January. Not the "no beers" kind but, apart from one bathroom fit out, not a lot of work. Now I can fully understand that this is the world of feast 'n' famine I signed up for. I can see I'm not alone by the number of people chasing work on the MyBuilder site. Even so, logic aside, I found this a lot harder to keep in perspective than expected.

So, how have the experienced hands learnt to handle, not the varying work load, but the pressure of ....enforced down time. Your opinions appreciated.

I had a very quiet january. Expected it to be fair so plan all the van service etc for then. Do all the admin etc...
I tried my builder it is a race to the bottom as no fees to join. So attracts some iffy folks.
You should look at getting into the ev charger installs, i got 3 booked in over next couple of weeks.
They are quite straightforward and on 2 they turned around and asked me to quote for other stuff at the sametime.

It took me a few years, but eventually you can get a a nice flow of work that you dictate when you do it. It’s a case of arranging your diary to suit you. If you get a good reputation and customer database, it is (fairly) easy to spread the work throughout the year

Hi bud,do not be disheartened,remember,it's not a career....it's an adventure:)

Use the spare time to drop any costly DD's or unnecessary regular outgoings,which increase the hurt,of a lean patch.

If you have an eight hour day,where nowt is booked in,spend two hours putting your face in front of builders,or any other outfit,you think may need you,either now or in the future.

I always revert to default...kids - own properties - family...not working for coin,is karmas way of giving you time for more important things;)

How long have you been SE ? It can 3 to 5 years to build a diverse successful business

Hi,bud,i have been receiving remuneration,for work,since i was 10...did my first,full downstairs rewire,on my jack,at 15...and i was 54,last year...

A lot of people have accused me of being a lot of things..."successful",was not one i remember;)

"diverse",however...yes,i've heard that,a LOT :rolleyes:

Oh man, I dream of some down time! Okay a year or two ago I was in your position but now I am batting people off people left right and centre and to be honest cannot keep up with demand, I am now trying to slow down. My advice would be find out what local newspapers of magazines there are and advertise. Not the commercial offerings but parish magazines where people actually want to employ a local tradesperson. The vast majority of my work comes from the local parish magazine, be warned though, muck up one job and everyone in your area will probably know. My builder is abit of a race to the bottom but I| have in the lean times had some good little jobs from it. You have to be quick off the mark on the job leads and I found that if I gave a ball park figure I tended to get the job. You win some you lose some but overall I made. Stick with it, it does come together but does as others say take a while.

Hi bud,do not be disheartened,remember,it's not a career....it's an adventure:)

Use the spare time to drop any costly DD's or unnecessary regular outgoings,which increase the hurt,of a lean patch.

If you have an eight hour day,where nowt is booked in,spend two hours putting your face in front of builders,or any other outfit,you think may need you,either now or in the future.

I always revert to default...kids - own properties - family...not working for coin,is karmas way of giving you time for more important things;)

Totally agree!, use this time as time spent with family, doing those jobs around the house, get the van services & cleared out, take the kids on holiday.
Take the time while youve got it, next month youll probably be too busy again.

Revisit your business plans, think about any changes to make going forward.

You should always keep a rainy day fund for these times, so your not panicking about money

And most important keep your chin up, the phone will start rining again soon, january is usually quiet.

Posted that somewhat hesitantly. This is after all, a technician's forum. I've turned every one of these suggestion into a to-do list. Sound like most of you have hit the "you're on your own and it's up to you" point in business. You support and encouragement is appreciated - thank you.

If you do domestic works & you've nothing booked in could you not get some leafles made up & deliver them around your area. Cover the area a couple times over the next month when your quiet. It could get you some work & get your companies name in future customers minds for when they do want work done.

Posted that somewhat hesitantly. This is after all, a technician's forum. I've turned every one of these suggestion into a to-do list. Sound like most of you have hit the "you're on your own and it's up to you" point in business. You support and encouragement is appreciated - thank you.

How long have you been SE?

If you do domestic works & you've nothing booked in could you not get some leaflets made up & deliver them around your area. Cover the area a couple times over the next month when your quiet. It could get you some work & get your companies name in future customers minds for when they do want work done.

Depending on your area, you may want to target the "better" roads ...... and when you do jobs, do drops in the adjacent homes / premises too.

The spring brings people out into their gardens to start tidying them up, so present yourself neatly and politely..... and engage them in conversation.

The better quality flyer you have, the longer they are likely to be kept

Also, anything that comes though our letter box which doesn't have a business address and landline number goes straight in the bin ..

I agree that you have to push yourself if you really need the work for bills, even doing leaflet drops can get some work.

Be careful not getting into the trap of doing cheap work when things are quiet (I mean quality work at cheap rates), because it might get you out of the house, but I made that mistake and found that those customers wanted more cheap rates for other jobs, and the people they recommended you to also wanted cheap rates. It's easy to build up a base of customers to do cheap work for, but it doesn't do you any favours (as I learnt) and you might be better off shelf filling in Aldi.

I am lucky to be able to choose who I work for now, and I am good at sussing out the cheap timewasters ("you give me cheap price I get you more work").

I don't even cover areas a short distance from me because I only ever got the minority of jobs I quoted for in those areas and it was just hassle that I no longer need.

I get the majority of jobs that I quote for, and they are customers who don't try to barter with me and I never have any problems getting payment from.

It's quite strange that years ago when I needed the work and quoted low I didn't get as much work as I get now charging the going rate, but as above that is probably more down to only quoting from a target audience (e.g. People who are prepared to pay the going rate).

Apologies for slightly rambling on (lol).

I agree that you have to push yourself if you really need the work for bills, even doing leaflet drops can get some work.

Be careful not getting into the trap of doing cheap work when things are quiet (I mean quality work at cheap rates), because it might get you out of the house, but I made that mistake and found that those customers wanted more cheap rates for other jobs, and the people they recommended you to also wanted cheap rates. It's easy to build up a base of customers to do cheap work for, but it doesn't do you any favours (as I learnt) and you might be better off shelf filling in Aldi.

I am lucky to be able to choose who I work for now, and I am good at sussing out the cheap timewasters ("you give me cheap price I get you more work").

I don't even cover areas a short distance from me because I only ever got the minority of jobs I quoted for in those areas and it was just hassle that I no longer need.

I get the majority of jobs that I quote for, and they are customers who don't try to barter with me and I never have any problems getting payment from.

It's quite strange that years ago when I needed the work and quoted low I didn't get as much work as I get now charging the going rate, but as above that is probably more down to only quoting from a target audience (e.g. People who are prepared to pay the going rate).

Apologies for slightly rambling on (lol).
That's really good advice regarding doing it cheap.

It's not something I do, but others I know fill in the gaps by taking agency work if the flow of cash every week is essential.

When you have down time, treat every day as a working day even if you have no work. Use the time marketing, networking, catching up on paperwork, forward planning etc, whatever needs your attention at that time.

Most work I have done is through striking up a conversation with someone and it leading to work. I know from reading on here I must be blessed as wherever I have been like Scotland, London, Norfolk Broads and now Weston work has always appeared. However I did find this year work was sparse in January. However I am sufficiently able to cope with no work money wise. It was part from being in a new town and not being known. But the neighbour is a roofer well established and a little chat with him and he has already got me a couple of jobs out of the kindness of his heart. Just about to start wiring a warehouse from another source so work is starting to come in. Praise the Lord!

How long have you been SE ? It can 3 to 5 years to build a diverse successful business

Apologies Murdoch, I noticed this and then missed answering. I started subbing in 2016 but 2018 was the start of totally independence so yet to "summer and winter" the business plan as my gardening friends would say. That why EF has been so valuable. It's not always about the work and answers as it is the assurance that this can be done.

My most successful sales technique so far - washing the (sign written) van out side my house. It's less about clean van than chatting to passers-by and has worked more than once.

Apologies Murdoch, I noticed this and then missed answering. I started subbing in 2016 but 2018 was the start of totally independence so yet to "summer and winter" the business plan as my gardening friends would say. That why EF has been so valuable. It's not always about the work and answers as it is the assurance that this can be done.

My most successful sales technique so far - washing the (sign written) van out side my house. It's less about clean van than chatting to passers-by and has worked more than once.

Crumbs, Marti’s washed his van in the last two hours more than I have in 6 months!

I don't think much of the suggestion of going door to door with leaflets and actually asking people if they need any work done.

It would give me the impression that someone wandering around aimlessly asking the general public for work mustn't be that good.

You should give the impression that you are in demand, even if you're not. A quick leaflet drop fine, but doing an unsolicited sales pitch.. it wouldn't be for me personally. Maybe things are different over in the UK.

I don't think much of the suggestion of going door to door with leaflets and actually asking people if they need any work done.

It would give me the impression that someone wandering around aimlessly asking the general public for work mustn't be that good.

You should give the impression that you are in demand, even if you're not. A quick leaflet drop fine, but doing an unsolicited sales pitch.. it wouldn't be for me personally. Maybe things are different over in the UK.

I have to agree with you regards the door knocking, as that is usually done by travellers or dodgey roofing blokes. I think If I got that desperate I would buy a bucket and sponge and become a window cleaner, at least then it would be fine door knocking asking if they wanted a window cleaner rather than asking if they want a house rewire.

Reply to The Highs an' Lows of the Sole Trader Market in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net