• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss The IET and the 18th edition publications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was wondering around at the ELEX show at the Richo Stadium yesterday, and stopped the NICEIC and IET stands.
I counted the number of publications currently on sale 27 books, and I thought, would they all need to be replaced when the 18th comes into force, surprise surprise, no one would give me a definitive answer, Any one got any thoughts?

I was wondering around at the ELEX show at the Richo Stadium yesterday, and stopped the NICEIC and IET stands.
I counted the number of publications currently on sale 27 books, and I thought, would they all need to be replaced when the 18th comes into force, surprise surprise, no one would give me a definitive answer, Any one got any thoughts?

What books were they Pete? Guess any publication which refers to BS7671 or uses it for reference would, technically have to be replaced with the latest edition. However, I still use the 'green' version OSG building regs and GN's.

Someone like a schemes technical depart would have to update, but I suppose they use the on-line/electronic versions.

Incidentally, what was the ELEX like?

What books were they Pete? Guess any publication which refers to BS7671 or uses it for reference would, technically have to be replaced with the latest edition. However, I still use the 'green' version OSG building regs and GN's.

Someone like a schemes technical depart would have to update, but I suppose they use the on-line/electronic versions.

7671 and al the guidance notes ,OSG, Guide to the building regs, lots of of the guides I can't recall if you have a copy of the latest "wiring matters" most of them can be seen in there, I realise lots of them wont change, but it was the way the IET Guy dismissed my question as though it didn't matter, wasn't happy with his reply, and let him and his mate know in no uncertain terms.

I expect he has heard it all before Pete and I doubt he is responsible for the changes, just on the front line taking the flack.

Did you go to any of the lectures/talks? What were the freebies.
No talks to busy amassing bits and bobs, got a great LED torch fro LED HUT, possibility of a free home automation course, mugs, pens, and met some good people apart from the IET Muppet.

IET Muppet....tsk tsk Pete! We all know all of the IET are learned, respectable and very important people's... They have their finger right on the pulse when it comes to technology matters. Their forum would never get bombarded with spam messages for instance.... and the way they understand and appreciate the commoner sparks is a joy to behold. Tis not jobs for the boys at the IET.....oh no no no!!

Probably 8 hours of your life you will never get back.

Last one I went to spent 2 ours on the M25. Last wedding I went to spent an hour in church. Last funeral I went to spent half an hour in chapel. Births another thing. Depends on how you want to spend you're (for your!) spare time. :)

Well SBO I enjoyed it, out with my Son and a couple of his mates, I'71 they were of course a lot younger, had a smashing day, frre bacon butty £2:30 for a cup of tea £10: for fuel, interesting to see and learn about home automation as an example, no place for a miserable s9d though.

Well SBO I enjoyed it, out with my Son and a couple of his mates, I'71 they were of course a lot younger, had a smashing day, frre bacon butty £2:30 for a cup of tea £10: for fuel, interesting to see and learn about home automation as an example, no place for a miserable s9d though.
Come on then give us a quick run down on home automation Pete? Mines called Mrs Burnout.

Come on then give us a quick run down on home automation Pete? Mines called Mrs Burnout.
Can't recall the firm we spoke to, my Lad has all the info, he was a sole trader very clued up, I thought, having never seen anything about home automation.

I was quite taken with the size of the modules that needed to be fitted in, say the switch box or light fixture, boiler or whatever you wanted to operate.

I think the thing that got me interested was the free training he was offering, he was prepared to come to your office, home where ever and spend a day with you and any employees who were interested, he would bring all the kit for you to play with, which personally in this age of get what you can, was a surprise, I'll contact my Lad to see if he has all the info still.

Can't recall the firm we spoke to, my Lad has all the info, he was a sole trader very clued up, I thought, having never seen anything about home automation.

I was quite taken with the size of the modules that needed to be fitted in, say the switch box or light fixture, boiler or whatever you wanted to operate.

I think the thing that got me interested was the free training he was offering, he was prepared to come to your office, home where ever and spend a day with you and any employees who were interested, he would bring all the kit for you to play with, which personally in this age of get what you can, was a surprise, I'll contact my Lad to see if he has all the info still.
Nice one. I presume it draws curtains and makes a dog barking noise when the postman comes.

Reply to The IET and the 18th edition publications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back