Discuss The ins and outs of part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im at a loss here my understanding of part p was that if you were a qaulified electrician you had to do this to be able to sign your own work off as this is what i planned to do once i qaulify.

But is it possible for anyone regardelss of electrical training or experience to get it?

Hi guys

Im at a loss here my understanding of part p was that if you were a qaulified electrician you had to do this to be able to sign your own work off as this is what i planned to do once i qaulify.

But is it possible for anyone regardelss of electrical training or experience to get it?

I think you are confusing being qualified and being part of a 'part p' scheme.

But remember, Part P is a building reg, not a qualification.
Anyone competent can (and should) fill certs in.
Registering work is a different matter, and Murdoch has covered this above.

Cool cheers guys. I always thought of it as just a building reg sort of thing but you needed it once qaulified. I only asked as i know a builder who argued he could do electrical work as he was qaulified to part p

I find it funny how the City And Guilds 2393 Part P "Qualification" is a Level 3 award so it's inline with the level 3 in inspection and testing :confused: it's a 20 question multiple choice exam after 1 days training how to read a book.

and a Level 3 equivalent qualification is the same as an A Level. . . You couldn't make this stuff up.

Welcome to Britain :D get qualified in things you didn't realise you needed a certificate for.

@magnoliafan89 AS above. If you are doing domestic work you will need to join a Competent Person Scheme -CPS- (NAPIT, NICEIC, STROMA etc etc).
Pick out the one with the cheeriest web site and check out the qualification requirements. Make sure that your studies are in line with the requirements.,

Then, when you have passed your exams you'll be able to join a CPS and then notify any electrical works that you do to the local authority via your CPS.

If you do not do this, then every notifiable job will need a building notice at a cost burden of ÂŁ200+ for the pleasure. And you'll still need to persuade the LABC that you are competent and capable. (good luck with that)

Part P is a building regulation covering domestic electrical work. To meet the obligations of part P, all work needs to conform to BS7671. You are also required to notify some electrical works (e.g. new circuits/work in special locations and some other work) to building control before you start the work. This then needs to be inspected and signed of by building control.

If you are a member of one of the electrical governing bodies that allows you to self notify (and have the relevant qualifications), you do not have to involve building control directly. You can notify them via this scheme once the work is complete (for a much lower fee).

All work needs to meet the requirements of BS7671, and initial varification and testing of all new work should be carried out and recorded on the relevant certificate, even if it doesn't need to be notified to building control.

Despite what many believe, you cannot be qualified to Part P, but many courses supposedly give you suitable qualifications to carry out domestic work and ensure you meet the obligations of Part P.

Reply to The ins and outs of part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net