Discuss The jobs becoming a joke in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

We all like to feel proud, working hard to gain qualification
Then part p and the recession come along and we are considered very low value workers :(

Makes you wish you remained incompetent and used that incompetence to take up banking instead :rolleyes:

it was on jobcentre plus in salford, ive tried to find it again but it aint on, looks like someones snapped it up or the FBI or CIA has went and arrested them who advertised it.

We all like to feel proud, working hard to gain qualification
Then part p and the recession come along and we are considered very low value workers :(

Very true here is an advert for marine electricians:

Marine Electricians with MOD Security clearance required for work on surface ships at Devonport Dockyard.

HOURLY RATE: For local contractors living within 30 miles of Plymouth.
PAYE £8.66 for 1st 37 hours, £9.71 after 37 hours PLUS holiday entitlement
LTD £10.95 per hour.

That's less than a labourer would get according to the JIB.

just seen a job advertised for a 2391 tester £20 a test, and the sad thing is someone will take that job and do 10 a day.
I think the same job was advertised on the jobs board on this forum. A bloke has re-wire teams in Stockport 2/3 bed flats and houses, he said he expected three initial verifications per day! £60 per day - don't spend it all at once eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you lads normally charge for testing, but 20 quid doesnt sound THAT bad to me. If you do ten a day, by my calculations that is a grand a week. As long as you dont have to spend too much more time with paperwork and test sheets, that sounds ok to me, or am I missing something?

Maybe you should train as a heating engineer - I just got a quote for someone to come and look at my faulty boiler - £80 per hour or part of an hour! And that's after the discount... doh!

:(

Reply to The jobs becoming a joke in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net