Discuss The joys of screwfix counters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I signed up they just wanted proof that I had a certificate relating to electrical works, they asked for my membership number but as to whether they contacted them I have no idea.

However, when they opened our local branch they gave Electricfix membership to anyone who asked... No proof!

This seemed to be a common policy at the time, there is a thread on here (from about 6 years ago) discussing it.

My regular supplier always has a full wild boar,on a spit-roast,and nubian eunuchs,serving honey-mead...

I think you lot need to find establishments,willing to try harder...
That aussie firm who have taken over homebase give out free hotdogs on a sunday in Oz. I am hoping they do the family sizzle events in teh uk, but suspect it will attract the wrong crowd! should offer it to people spending x amount only. you wouldnt mind homebase prices then if you get a hotdog!

Whilst not disagreeing with the safety aspect of wiring or gas installations by unqualified people, I always find it strange that no mention is made of the ability of anyone to buy car brake or steering parts, and to fit them. Surely the danger risk is far greater, potentially many people injured or killed as oppossed to one. Also how many safety minded qualified electricians use their phone, eat or drink whilst driving? A high number I'c guess, but of course that 8s suitably forgotten.

That aussie firm who have taken over homebase give out free hotdogs on a sunday in Oz. I am hoping they do the family sizzle events in teh uk, but suspect it will attract the wrong crowd! should offer it to people spending x amount only. you wouldnt mind homebase prices then if you get a hotdog!
With the new owners taking a £584M write down on the business I don't think that will happen.

The trouble in the UK is you just get the scum abusing it, look at the Black Friday event a few years back with people going mad for sh!te TV's or the opening of the new Ikea store in Enfield.

With the new owners taking a £584M write down on the business I don't think that will happen.

The trouble in the UK is you just get the scum abusing it, look at the Black Friday event a few years back with people going mad for sh!te TV's or the opening of the new Ikea store in Enfield.
When they bought the company it turns out homebase had millions of quids worth of stock sitting in warehouses they had forgot about, i learnt this as when in a store i asked what the heck they were doing with spice girls wallpaper in 2017! they said then about the old stock and how this mountain of plastic storage boxes was part of it and thats why they are so cheap - they had sat in a warehouse for close to a decade. they have turned some homebase stores (mainly small dated ones with short leases) into clearance stores where this random stock goes to be sold cheap, they are then going to close some warehouses as they are surplus to requirements. the random stuff ranges from fittings, storage stuff, tools and furniture. its a case of what they find next in the warehouse. I bought a new light fitting that had a faded old homebase logo on the outside for a tenner, back in 2009 when on sale it was £49.99, so cant complain

When they bought the company it turns out homebase had millions of quids worth of stock sitting in warehouses they had forgot about, i learnt this as when in a store i asked what the heck they were doing with spice girls wallpaper in 2017! they said then about the old stock and how this mountain of plastic storage boxes was part of it and thats why they are so cheap - they had sat in a warehouse for close to a decade. they have turned some homebase stores (mainly small dated ones with short leases) into clearance stores where this random stock goes to be sold cheap, they are then going to close some warehouses as they are surplus to requirements. the random stuff ranges from fittings, storage stuff, tools and furniture. its a case of what they find next in the warehouse. I bought a new light fitting that had a faded old homebase logo on the outside for a tenner, back in 2009 when on sale it was £49.99, so cant complain
The HB in Earls Court was demolished and the are being turned in to flats the one in W12 is closing down in the next year or so and flats are being built on the plot, who the f!!ck will want to live in a flat on the side of the A40?

I can't start the day without my costa, worth every penny of the £2.95.
400g jar of coffee and 2 bags sugar £2.95. thats coffee for a month in the civilised North, not just 1 cup of over-priced sludge.

up here in the civilised North, we have ciggy lighters. matches are some sort of ball game played by the likes of arsenal and west ham. one day they'll approach the standards of Liverpool and Accrington Stanley.

and this is how it sounds at home . mind you, Anfield has gone downbank, even allowing Geordies in these days.

if you look closely, that's me, the guy in the middle, just behind the "play" arrow

If there were restrictions on selling to non trade, we wouldn’t have DIY Dave to laugh at. And subsequently half the posts on this this forum wouldnt exist.
It keeps life interesting when you find a shambolic installation.

I wonder if Dan could tell us if on the plumber's forum they have all this debate regarding DIY gas jobs?Maybe a staff member could bring this question to his attention it would be interesting to know with their gas safe.

I wonder if Dan could tell us if on the plumber's forum they have all this debate regarding DIY gas jobs?Maybe a staff member could bring this question to his attention it would be interesting to know with their gas safe.
Recently had a problem with my Baxi combi boiler (hot water, no heating).
Found on Google someone who had had the same problem and had visited a couple of forums.
The advice given was either incorrect, or to get a Gas Safe engineer in.

you know the drill, spin. if you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

Reply to The joys of screwfix counters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net