Discuss The large companies leaving the JIB in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
When I was working on the Westfield Stratford City Development last summer, some of the sparks that were working for Tommy Clarke's
told me that they and the big boys (NG Bailey's, Mathew Hall, Balfor Kilpatrik and someone else the name escapes me) were leaving the JIB so that do not have to agree and pay the JIB rates and conditions.

they all have their own agencies, so they will insist that we have the JIB cards but we will not pay the rate

what have peopple heard about this

As it stands, the JIB has electricians, mates and labourers. (in general).
The new Besna scheme, as I understand it, wants to bring in a new classification for people who just do containment (metal muncher?).
The pay for such work, will be somewhere between that of an electrician, and that of a labourer.
You will be paid that rate, irrespective of what grade you hold with the JIB, unless the pay rate for your grade is less than that for this new BESNA classification.
So as a JIB electrician, you would perhaps be paid £14.09.
As a JIB mate you would be paid £8.09.
As a BESNA metal muncher, you would be paid £10.59.
This rate would only be paid to JIB electricians, and in the future to people with the BESNA metal munching grade.
In time I would imagine, that even if you are graded as a JIB electrician, if you do not hold the BESNA metal muncher grade, you may find you will be paid the rate for a trainee metal muncher?
I have been informed, that T. Clarkes has recently been awarded five new large contracts, based on the fact that they will be operating the BESNA scheme.
I also understand that Balfours have quit the scheme, and I believe the other member you couldn't recall is Lang O'Rourke?

I can remember a time when containment munchers as you call them now, were on the top electricians rate. There were teams of these guys, that went round the country doing all the bigger jobs. These guys were GOOD and worth their weight in gold!!! Probably far better at conduit,(as well as trunking, tray etc) erection than the best sparks, just don't ask them to wire it...lol!!!

I can remember a time when containment munchers as you call them now, were on the top electricians rate. There were teams of these guys, that went round the country doing all the bigger jobs. These guys were GOOD and worth their weight in gold!!! Probably far better at conduit,(as well as trunking, tray etc) erection than the best sparks, just don't ask them to wire it...lol!!!

Those days are long gone.

We only need look at the AM2 test to see how highly regarded the skill of steel containment installation has now become.

BBES have now pulled out of the BES(NA) but we have no news on the other 6 as yet.

yes been one of these metal munchers for years working all over the country for b.p and conoco philips on the refinerys and power stations and large construction sites.
Well the industry you know and worked hard to qualify for, is going to change for ever.
This all started with semi skilled jib graded men pulling cables into our containment for years,the next stage is we are finding is some of these guys throwing in poor quality containment on the next job, which often we had to redo.
It was only a matter of time for this goverment with its foot in the door with big business to start down grading all the electrical rates to give greater profits to shareholders of which this goverment is a big player.
I fifty years of age qualified to death and still love the electrical industry its been my life, but i fear for the future for the young ones entering in this industry.

hope you have a good future!

As it stands, the JIB has electricians, mates and labourers. (in general).
The new Besna scheme, as I understand it, wants to bring in a new classification for people who just do containment (metal muncher?).
The pay for such work, will be somewhere between that of an electrician, and that of a labourer.
You will be paid that rate, irrespective of what grade you hold with the JIB, unless the pay rate for your grade is less than that for this new BESNA classification.
So as a JIB electrician, you would perhaps be paid £14.09.
As a JIB mate you would be paid £8.09.
As a BESNA metal muncher, you would be paid £10.59.
This rate would only be paid to JIB electricians, and in the future to people with the BESNA metal munching grade.
In time I would imagine, that even if you are graded as a JIB electrician, if you do not hold the BESNA metal muncher grade, you may find you will be paid the rate for a trainee metal muncher?
I have been informed, that T. Clarkes has recently been awarded five new large contracts, based on the fact that they will be operating the BESNA scheme.
I also understand that Balfours have quit the scheme, and I believe the other member you couldn't recall is Lang O'Rourke?

Thanks for clarifying things you know what hearsay is like on a site

When I was working on the Westfield Stratford City Development last summer, some of the sparks that were working for Tommy Clarke's
told me that they and the big boys (NG Bailey's, Mathew Hall, Balfor Kilpatrik and someone else the name escapes me) were leaving the JIB so that do not have to agree and pay the JIB rates and conditions.

they all have their own agencies, so they will insist that we have the JIB cards but we will not pay the rate

have a read of the deskilling thread,it wont be quick reading tho..over 200 pages

indeed it has been scrapped. Thanks to a monumental effort by the rank and file (I.E. ordinary members who sacrificed their time, reputations, risked sacking , & blacklisting,) have saved your sorry asses for another day. Next time, & there will be a next time YOU!, yes YOU, need to mobilise.

Get in touch with your local R & F committee and & find out what you can do to defend YOUR terms & conditions.

UNIONISE & ORGANISE.

UNITE & FIGHT WITH THE RANK & FILE

Spinlondon,
you have a better grasp than most on this issue, however just to clarify a point there is no such thing as a JIB MATE. That grade does not exist within the universe of the JIB, it exits in the real world of the rest of us, but in the pretend world of the JIB is is not there and there is no rate attached to it. In fact as you will see from i=p/u's quote not only does the Mate rate not exist, but the JIB is a mystery. That is not a dig at i=p/u but an inditement on the JIB which claims to control the industry ( when half the industry hasn't heard of it) but maybe in the universe which they inhabit there are no mates!

Spinlondon,

You are quite correct. It appears that owing to the campaign that was mounted the decision has been taken not to proceed with BESNA.

Electromotive, please do not describe yourself as a metal muncher. Others use it as a derogatory term. Have some self respect, you deserve it. Don't let anyone tell you this is not skilled work, it is and skilled men/women should do it and it should be recognised for what it is. Anyone who has worked on the big commercial/industrial sites knows that containment is critical and the amount of it is increasing and skilled personnel are required to do this work. The reactionaries want things done the way they were 50 years ago but the forward thinkers and the young understand. Good luck to you, your work is skilled work and you can be proud of it...and I'm glad you love the industry but love can be blind, however it doesn't have to be.

Just for the purpose of clarity Supasparxs, the issue was that there would be no requirement for a JIB card, so it was not that they would insist on the card and then fail to pay the grade. They were going to bring in their own grading system, which would recognise the existing JIB grades based on Nationally recognised qualifications that were independently verified i.e. City and Guilds.Go to the Deskilling thread and you can see what it all about. It is long and there is a lot of stuff on there that I personally would take with a bucketful of salt!

Reply to The large companies leaving the JIB in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock