Discuss @ The self employed. How long to you persevere without much work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Had very little work on since January. Am now starting to seriously consider looking for a job.

Had very little work on late last year so started loking for a job, Employers decided to take advantage of the recession and offer peanuts as payment. Stick to your guns and stay self employed.

I'm sticking with it at the moment, only been out on my own for a year.

Theres only so long i can put up with earning **** all when i'm seeing a few chippy mates flat out every day earning a packet

Also i wouldn't fancy my chances getting a job, as i went out on my own as soon as i qualified, so there are probably a lot of sparks with a lot more experience than me competing for the same jobs

Last edited by a moderator:
There is work out there dont give up. Look further afield and try to set yourself apart from the others.
I got back from derby at 9pm and then went and sorted out a burglar alarm tonight.
Customers appreciate stuff like that.

what are you doing to find work? sitting next to the phone wont bring work in, not saying youre doing nothing but a lot of self employed guys do just that and then wonder why they sitting at home.

To be fair i can do more to find work. I just went from a period of being really busy before and just after christmas, to having practically nothing, and it was a bit of a shock

Is there a thread about that has advice and ideas about finding work?

usually the case really busy one minute then it goes quiet and you got to put the effort in to get more work.
A trick i use a lot which seems to work well is call in on old customers with a "just passing thought id see how youre getting on routine" quite often ends with a "actually been wanting this done or so and so needs this doing"
obviously this only works on customers you have a good relationship with you cant just drop in on everyone unanounced :)

Just been made redundant and the company are forcing me to work the 12week notice - so i,m using the time to push my own business so that when the finish date comes I have some work on the books. It aint easy going from a well paid job to virtually peanuts but in the end the rewards should be worth it.

To try bring more work I had leaflets printed up for the business, each time I do a job I drop leaflets through doors on the streets around the house, this way the neighbours have proof that your just not a cowboy white van man in the area to scam them.

Reply to @ The self employed. How long to you persevere without much work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock