Discuss The Snoopers Charter in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Did you know about the snoopers charter ? Its been going on for years

• yes heard about when it started in November 2015 when it started going through the various stages of

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No this is the first I have heard of it

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
B

Barry White

Well this seems to have been swept through without much publicity.(By the folks who control publicity)
see The Government just passed the most extreme surveillance law in history – say goodbye to your privacy - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/snoopers-charter-theresa-may-online-privacy-investigatory-powers-act-a7426461.html
"Well I don't do anything wrong so it wont affect me ? "
Well it wont if you are an MP the very people who have introduced the bill have exempted themselves.
MPs just passed the most draconian spying laws ever. Guess who they made exempt - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-a7447781.html

Here's a list of who can snoop on you now.

Metropolitan police force
City of London police force
Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
Police Service of Scotland
Police Service of Northern Ireland
British Transport Police
Ministry of Defence Police
Royal Navy Police
Royal Military Police
Royal Air Force Police
Security Service
Secret Intelligence Service
GCHQ
Ministry of Defence
Department of Health
Home Office
Ministry of Justice
National Crime Agency
HM Revenue & Customs
Department for Transport
Department for Work and Pensions
NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
Competition and Markets Authority
Criminal Cases Review Commission
Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
Financial Conduct Authority
Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
Food Standards Agency
Food Standards Scotland
Gambling Commission
Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
Health and Safety Executive
Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
Information Commissioner
NHS Business Services Authority
Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
Office of Communications
Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
Scottish Ambulance Service Board
Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
Serious Fraud Office
Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust

Under the guise of counter-terrorism, the British state has achieved totalitarian-style surveillance powers – the most intrusive system of any democracy in history. It now has the ability to indiscriminately hack, intercept, record, and monitor the communications and internet use of the entire population.

Anyone read the book 1984?

Would be interested in your comments please.

Millions of people have been illegally hacking into computer systems since the Internet came into being.
Phone calls have been tapped from the beginning of the phone system
What difference does it make now that some of them can obtain your information, without hacking, legally?

And MP's are NOT exempt, there is an additional level of authorisation before their information is accessed.

Assume the Internet is unsafe and you'll have no problems.

Last edited:
Millions of people have been illegally hacking into computer systems since the Internet came into being.
What difference does it make now that some of them can do it legally?

And MP's are NOT exempt, there is an additional level of authorisation before their information is accessed.

Assume the Internet is unsafe and you'll have no problems.

Yes only via the prime minister!! can mps be snooped upon!

Everything we do and say is on the internet you can't avoid it even living off grid.

Would like a poll on who knew about this serious law being introduced and who did not.

I feel sorry for the person who has to snoop on me. They will be bored silly... Unless they like YouTube videos of Minecraft and 7D2D

There's is no freedom anymore,

Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take,
Every single day and every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay,
Every move you make, every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake, they'll be watching you

Gob smacked at the list ...
WTF has 9/10ths of that lot got to do with securing our safety from terrorists?
Absolutely nothing, they'll try and sell it to the sheep as security from terrorists or preventing kids seeing pron or preventing sexual predators but they're just legitimising into law what they've been doing illegally for years.

The problem is that they're collecting enormous amounts of data about you and they're increasing the availability of that data to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Your freedom is gone and the question you have to ask is do you feel safe from terrorists and paedophiles? If you do feel safe then you've traded you freedom and privacy for your safety, if not then you've sacrificed your freedom and privacy for nothing. Either way beware though, it's a small step from a surveillance state to a totalitarian state.

Out of interest I'd be interested to know how many people actively take measures to maintain their privacy.
Things like using Tor, VPN's, fully encrypted messaging apps, local disk encryption, secure and encrypted email services, secure cloud storage and sync, complex passwords and 2-stage verification/authorisation, private search engines (duckduckgo etc), avoiding smart phone use, avoiding partaking in social media platforms.

To be frank I'm more worried about the data that the private comms companies hold on us and sell on for profit.

Just look at the list
Department for Transport
Food Standards Agency
Food Standards Scotland
Gambling Commission
Information Commissioner
Office of Communications

Do you think the above are secure. Even charity's sell our information. Do you honestly think they have an interest in terrorism? Or have any interest or means to stop Pedophiles.

Deffo 1984 NOW

A taste of whats could now happen remember the Tiananmen Square masacre in china well it didnt happen in china!
From 6 Things You Should Know About the Tiananmen Square Massacre - http://time.com/2822290/tiananmen-square-massacre-facts-time/

Chinese authorities still censor information about the massacre

More than a quarter century after the massacre, the Chinese government’s extensive censorship apparatus—which employs two million online censors — still rigorously blocks information about the protest. The ban is so total that not only is the search term “Tiananmen Square” censored, but so too are related words and phrases. Authorities have even gone as far as blocking combinations of the numbers 6, 4, 1989 that might obliquely reference the date of the protest, June 4, 1989. So for many members of the world’s largest online population, the facts about the bloody crackdown have been erased.

Well this seems to have been swept through without much publicity.(By the folks who control publicity)
see The Government just passed the most extreme surveillance law in history – say goodbye to your privacy - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/snoopers-charter-theresa-may-online-privacy-investigatory-powers-act-a7426461.html
"Well I don't do anything wrong so it wont affect me ? "
Well it wont if you are an MP the very people who have introduced the bill have exempted themselves.
MPs just passed the most draconian spying laws ever. Guess who they made exempt - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-a7447781.html

Here's a list of who can snoop on you now.

Metropolitan police force
City of London police force
Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
Police Service of Scotland
Police Service of Northern Ireland
British Transport Police
Ministry of Defence Police
Royal Navy Police
Royal Military Police
Royal Air Force Police
Security Service
Secret Intelligence Service
GCHQ
Ministry of Defence
Department of Health
Home Office
Ministry of Justice
National Crime Agency
HM Revenue & Customs
Department for Transport
Criminal Cases Review Commission
Food Standards Agency
Food Standards Scotland
Gambling Commission
Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
Information Commissioner
Office of Communications
Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
Serious Fraud Office

Under the guise of counter-terrorism, the British state has achieved totalitarian-style surveillance powers – the most intrusive system of any democracy in history. It now has the ability to indiscriminately hack, intercept, record, and monitor the communications and internet use of the entire population.

Anyone read the book 1984?

Would be interested in your comments please.
FSB
MOSSAD
CIA
FBI

... Tiananmen Square masacre in china well it didnt happen in china! Chinese authorities still censor information about the massacre.

With this in one hand, apparently we are putting our nuclear and telecoms infrastructure in their other. What could possibly go wrong?

RIPA has been in place since 2000 chaps so not a lot has changed. The issue is getting data out out the internet companies. Surveillance authorities are a real pain in the arse to get authorised (quite rightly) as not only do you have to justify breach of privacy but they cost a fortune especially if you are looking at physical surveillance teams. They have to be very specific. If you think police forces go on fishing trips you are barking up the wrong tree. The security services hunting for the next bomber will be looking for needles in haystacks but I don't have a problem with that.
I do have issues with local authorities watching to see if people put their bins out on the right day!

No one wants surveillance but everyone wants their families to be safe from terrorists, online hackers, wants everything done when their bank account is emptied by organized criminal groups, want action if their kids are subject to predatory behaviour online from pedophiles. Well my friends, wake up and smell the coffee, you want protection and to be safe, then you have to give up some of this so called (non existent) privacy. I hazard a guess that if I did an online consenting database check on any of you who are complaining about this unnecessary affront to your privacy your full details would be splashed all over the web in the public domain in any case!:)

Biggest issue is the obstruction placed by private businesses on access to data by law enforcement agencies which the criminals use to their full advantage. If you lose money via a fraudulent money transfer the banks won't provide police the details of where the money has gone without a court order despite you reporting the fraud to the bank. Mean time money has long gone. Some phone companies are still really obstructive about providing phone data. All depends on whether you want your crime investigated folks...and that is getting very rare these days unless the perpetrator is bloody obvious.

No one wants surveillance but everyone wants their families to be safe from terrorists, online hackers, wants everything done when their bank account is emptied by organized criminal groups, want action if their kids are subject to predatory behaviour online from pedophiles. Well my friends, wake up and smell the coffee, you want protection and to be safe, then you have to give up some of this so called (non existent) privacy.
I don't think the wholesale invasion of everyones privacy is having much sucess in preventing terrorists or paedophiles. Both those groups are more often than not tach-savvy enough to avoid detection. Every single day kids are still getting groomed and 'lone wolf' terrorists are driving trucks into Christmas markets.

I hazard a guess that if I did an online consenting database check on any of you who are complaining about this unnecessary affront to your privacy your full details would be splashed all over the web in the public domain in any case!:)
You'd be wrong. I use TOR, I use end to end encryption for all messaging and internet activity, I use complex and unique passwords, I use hardware and software firewalls on my routers, local drive encryption on laptops and PC's etc. I don't partake in social media and most times if I ever absolutely have to supply an email address I use a disposable. My critical laptops and PC's run versions of Linux biased for privacy. None of my visible web content is under my actual name. I recently got my first iphone and deliberately chose a chinese brand that could be rooted and reinstalled to provide privacy so GPS is disabled, transmitted packet monitor etc. I'm not saying I'm untraceable but I'm not making their lives easy.

Biggest issue is the obstruction placed by private businesses on access to data by law enforcement agencies which the criminals use to their full advantage. If you lose money via a fraudulent money transfer the banks won't provide police the details of where the money has gone without a court order despite you reporting the fraud to the bank. Mean time money has long gone. Some phone companies are still really obstructive about providing phone data. All depends on whether you want your crime investigated folks...and that is getting very rare these days unless the perpetrator is bloody obvious.
I think the crucial flaw in your concerns here is that all the instances you've stated are not about prevention of crime, they're about making inverstigation easier after the crime has already been commited. The milisecond money disappears from a bank account it's already long gone, no amount of sacrificing your privacy is going to make one iota of difference to that fact, all it's doing is making the police investigation easier (assuming they're actually interested in investigating), it means the police no longer need to do actual police work, they can sit at a desk in front of a computer instead. Sorry but I'm not willing to sacrifice my privacy for their convenience.

So you have no mortgage, no credit, no insurance,no utility bills, never use your name on any documentation, no driving licence etc etc etc.
Yes but I'd expect any info I surrendered to the establishments that supply the things you mentioned to be kept private and not shared willy nilly with my local ambulance service or any other organisation for that matter.

I think you may be misunderstanding my stance. I'm not saying I want to live off the grid entirely I'm saying I value my privacy and any time I interact in an area where I can't control who is privy to my information I'll take steps to protect it myself.

Reply to The Snoopers Charter in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock