Discuss The Z of the prospective short circuit current,is it mostly resistive or reactive ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tonikh

Hello,

I want to calculate the prospective short circuit current at a remote distribution board & this is my dilemma.
I have from the supply a prospective short circuit current of 20 KA and supply voltage of 400/230V.

So if I do the following Zin = 230 /20,000 I get Zin = 0.0115 ohm

Now here is the problem,I want to add the resistive & reactive part of the phase conductor to the impedance that i just got, but Zin is a complex number & i dunno if it is mostly resistive or reactive,but I am pretty sure both are present in it

So to add the impedance of the conductor with Zin,shall I consider Zin mostly reactive and add it with the reactive part of the conductor, or shall i consider it resistive and add it with the resistive part of the conductor, or shall i simply add the two complex impedances.

Thank you,
Really Appreciated

Re: The Z of the prospective short circuit current,is it mostly resistive or reactive

to find out you will need an occiloscope and check the voltage and current phase relationship but beware this will change depending on the day you measure as other customers may be introducing inductive or capacitive loads and more or fewer harmonics onto the system.
That said i would treat it as resistive and add your impedence complex or not to it

Reply to The Z of the prospective short circuit current,is it mostly resistive or reactive ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I have a question please concerning the calculation of the non-adiabatic factor for screen/sheath with a case that is not mentioned...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have Metrel MI 3152 multifunctional tester and in the Line, Z auto menu there is a setting for Zlim(Z (LPE),Z (LN)) and it is fixed at...
Replies
Views
When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
Someone asked about abbreviations used here. So I tried to copy a list I made elsewhere: A/C Air Conditioning AC Alternating Current ACB...
Replies
Views
Just a little thought here, With PME / TN-C-S supplies being most common, and the difficulty with EV charging from this earthing arrangement...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock