Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Thermal imaging camera, any recommendations on the budget end? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mattja

Mattja Regular EF Member

Not something I really need so don't want to spend a lot, but toying with the idea of getting a cheap one to see if it comes in useful, say locating underfloor heating elements or bad connections, and perhaps a look at the house from outside see where the insulation may be lacking (have my suspicions, one corner always seems a bit cold). If it turns out to be a great tool to have maybe I'll get a fancier one in a few years.

That said I don't want to buy something that's a piece of worthless rubbish, so any recommendations on a budget of a couple hundred?

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

oops ,sent wrong link .back in a few minutes.

4. buzzlightyear

5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

The cheaper you go the poorer the resolution. As for underfloor heating, I would hazard a guess it would take a very good thermal camera to accurately locate the heating elements.

6. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

I have a flir pro os and it is excellent but not cheap, my mate has the Cat Phone flir and you can tell the difference in resolution.

7. solarsavings

solarsavings Electrician's Arms

I have the Testo 868 and it earns it's keep.

8. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Have a Laser thermometer for sale, contact camerabloke if interested

9. buzzlightyear

I must get one of them .

[​IMG]

10. rapparee

rapparee Electrician's Arms

I have a fluke tis 65

I love it, it has an overlay of the thermal imaging on top of the normal vision.

But it cost more than a few hundred

11. stevethesparks

stevethesparks Electrician's Arms

A Fluke VT04 isn't a proper thermal imaging camera as such, but if on a tight budget, is still a pretty useful instrument. Cost approx £450

12. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
  13. Mattja

Mattja Regular EF Member

Thanks for the replies, think I'm going to get myself the Fluke VT04, looks close enough to a true thermal imaging camera for my needs. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  14. rapparee

rapparee Electrician's Arms

15. DAvid Prosser

DAvid Prosser Electrician's Arms

If you put up your location there may be members with thermal imaging cameras nearby that could let you have look/try.