Discuss Thermal imaging what do you guys think of this picture in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ritchiehulse

Hi all,

A company had some minor problems with a bussbar fitted, all got renewed and working completely fine but as a precaution they wanted a test on the bars (IR,Zs etc)
whilst i was there i used our thermal imaging camera on the joints just to check no loose connections etc and i noticed they had a UPS connected to the bars incase they lost power, felt the cable which felt hot to touch
Thermal imaging what do you guys think of this picture {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Now i know 33.6 deg is well within 90 deg but it hit me as strange how this is the only swa in the building getting anywhere over 21 deg. Is this something that's worth looking into or is it just because its the batteries constantly being charged? I wanted to put the clamp on ampmeter but without shutting it down there is nothing to clamp it onto

I cant clamp the cores atm without shutting down the backup (means turning off a isolater at either end before access to the cables can be obtained),,,,this can be arranged im just making sure its necessary before doing so.

Yes i agree it can be a usefull tool but also make you worry over nothing, but its not often a grab a swa in a cold room and feel it very hot,
They a bussbars in a riser cupboard, which the higher you went the warmer the bars were getting, once i got to the top floor and found the backup it was obvious it was this that was making them warmer, not saying its wrong it just made me want a second opinion as to what other people would do

What size is the cable and its protective device.

If it's a sizeable UPS (sounds like), I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have some means of establishing the output current on the various phases. Maybe a chat with their facilities peoples could get you some historical data (or at the very least, some instantaneous readings).

33.6 degrees is so far away from the allowable limit I wouldn't even investigate normally unless something struck me as hinky. The thermographic image is alarmist, it makes it look like the wire is glowing white hot whilst in fact the midday ambient temperature where I am is higher than that most days :)

The thermographic image is alarmist, it makes it look like the wire is glowing white hot whilst in fact the midday ambient temperature where I am is higher than that most days :)
Alright @Marvo, don't rub it in! It was a lovely Sping 6 degrees C today with the sun out - not at all uncomfortable!

Lol, I don't envy you, at 6 degrees everything would be the same shade of deep purple in a thermal image.

Reply to Thermal imaging what do you guys think of this picture in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net