Discuss Thermal Store problems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Flange

-
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals)
I hope you can help me. Will try to keep it fairly brief! :grin:
Have a Torrent ECO with woodburner downstairs, so gravity. All working well for the past year, apart from rads getting hot then cool (as the water gets pushed round the system) so instead of standing with my hand on the rad flow pipe to turn the heating off in order for the store to heat up again, I wanted a pipe stat to turn the pump on at temp (55 deg?). Also, I wanted the CH timeswitch moved downstairs.
Leccy man (a qualified friend in the area) duly moved Drayton Lifestyle downstairs (and immersion controls but that is separate and all fine), and wired in pipe stat. All seemed ok but tank not hot so not tested.
Later I had a bath using immersion and didn't want to waste a tankful of hot water so turned the heating from off to timed, and the fuse tripped.
Disconnected pipe stat and is not tripping anymore BUT the CH pump is now continually running (both valves are also vibrating) although the CH timeswitch is set to OFF.
I replaced the boiler overheat stat and still pump is ON.
So....
1. Can anyone see a glaring fault in my diagram (without pipe stat)?
2. Is this how it is supposed to be wired? (with pipe stat)?

Many thanks in advance.

Thermal Store problems wiring the control panel without pipe thermostat - EletriciansForums.net

Thermal Store problems wiring the control panel with pipe thermostat - EletriciansForums.net

Ta! And thought someone might say that :disappointed:. I've had a bit of trouble finding someone to help, and grabbed my friend when he came down. Thermal stores seem to be avoided like the plague by electricians for some reason!

To clarify: my electrician friend is stumped (and a bit embarrassed). I have taken photos etc to send to him, as he doesn't live near me. I posted the drawn pics because I thought the photo would be unclear (and I'm a bit OCD about visual aids, lol). This is (or was!) an up and running system for my place in the sticks. And as I am lime plastering at the mo, it's a right pain not being able to have a bath! Even a clue would help at this stage! I'm practically pleading :praying:

Thermal Store problems control panel wirin - EletriciansForums.net

The pipe stat drawing is mine, though. I think it was wired wrong before, as he followed the Torrent wiring plan but that pipe stat was meant to be placed on the return flow from the stove, if I'm not mistaken. I know it has to be wired in series from the programmer, and I think it's C + 2 to open at temp? It's still a secondary issue, though.

I think it was the front ring (my house is wired in quarters) when I switched the programmer from off to timed. The control panel is wired to a fused spur.

flange ,take all the tails out and start again ,start with wiring plan and start putting the tails one by one ,it could be no simpler .

Hi - ok, was it an RCD trip, an MCB trip or a fuse blow? Then which circuit is it on? Then does it happen twice (say).

Hi,a bit more of a description of the layout,would help. How is the gravity/pumped sections arranged? What other electrical items are on the same power circuit(s)?

It is perfectly possible,if it worked previously,that an individual component,has an issue. This would need tracing,using standard tactics.

Even when viewing cables,in a wiring junction box,is no use,if we don't know how and why they connect,at the other end;)
Just banking that they do...is fatal,in the fault finding job.

I am with PEG - need much better description and diagram of the plumbing system and how you want it to work and be controlled. Some pictures always help add clarity to explanations.

Hi,a bit more of a description of the layout,would help. How is the gravity/pumped sections arranged? What other electrical items are on the same power circuit(s)?

It is perfectly possible,if it worked previously,that an individual component,has an issue. This would need tracing,using standard tactics.

Even when viewing cables,in a wiring junction box,is no use,if we don't know how and why they connect,at the other end;)
Just banking that they do...is fatal,in the fault finding job.

Gravity water from woodburner downstairs to thermal store upstairs. Pump on rads coming from store.
Fused spur supplying feed to control panel only upstairs.
Has my first post, with the diagrams, disappeared?

Last edited:
I am with PEG - need much better description and diagram of the plumbing system and how you want it to work and be controlled. Some pictures always help add clarity to explanations.

No, your wiring plans have not disappeared....

Oh, I see! Sorry. Here is a plan of my system (thank god for Paint, haha). Obviously it has immersions but they are separate and working fine. My system is very basic.

Thermal Store problems heating pipe layout.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi bud,it was a diagram of your particular layout,i was after,not Gledhill's generic drawing. The operation,and therefore the possible issues,are specific to each system,on an individual basis.

The addition or omission of a loader,or gravity flap,pump,feed or vent,in the wrong place,may or may not cause an immediate problem,until the day another thing changes,then....

If your system worked fine until presently,and has only now started tripping out,it very well could be a fail of a single,electrical item. It could be that a situation has occurred in the system,where two components switch to a position they have not normally found themselves,and this has caused the problem.

If you have someone coming out,then hopefully you can get sorted and clean:) ....but if your system looks identical to that generic picture...i'll dress as Gladis Emmanuel and bed-bath you myself ;)

Reply to Thermal Store problems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock