Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Thermal Store problems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Flange

Flange EF Member

Hi guys (and gals)
    I hope you can help me. Will try to keep it fairly brief! :grin:
    Have a Torrent ECO with woodburner downstairs, so gravity. All working well for the past year, apart from rads getting hot then cool (as the water gets pushed round the system) so instead of standing with my hand on the rad flow pipe to turn the heating off in order for the store to heat up again, I wanted a pipe stat to turn the pump on at temp (55 deg?). Also, I wanted the CH timeswitch moved downstairs.
    Leccy man (a qualified friend in the area) duly moved Drayton Lifestyle downstairs (and immersion controls but that is separate and all fine), and wired in pipe stat. All seemed ok but tank not hot so not tested.
    Later I had a bath using immersion and didn't want to waste a tankful of hot water so turned the heating from off to timed, and the fuse tripped.
    Disconnected pipe stat and is not tripping anymore BUT the CH pump is now continually running (both valves are also vibrating) although the CH timeswitch is set to OFF.
    I replaced the boiler overheat stat and still pump is ON.
    So....
    1. Can anyone see a glaring fault in my diagram (without pipe stat)?
    2. Is this how it is supposed to be wired? (with pipe stat)?

Many thanks in advance.

wiring the control panel without pipe thermostat.jpg

wiring the control panel with pipe thermostat.jpg

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

nice drawing by the way ,and there is a but, get a some body in that can help you.

3. Flange

Flange EF Member

Ta! And thought someone might say that :disappointed:. I've had a bit of trouble finding someone to help, and grabbed my friend when he came down. Thermal stores seem to be avoided like the plague by electricians for some reason!

4. Flange

Flange EF Member

To clarify: my electrician friend is stumped (and a bit embarrassed). I have taken photos etc to send to him, as he doesn't live near me. I posted the drawn pics because I thought the photo would be unclear (and I'm a bit OCD about visual aids, lol). This is (or was!) an up and running system for my place in the sticks. And as I am lime plastering at the mo, it's a right pain not being able to have a bath! Even a clue would help at this stage! I'm practically pleading :praying:

control panel wiring.jpg

5. Flange

Flange EF Member

The pipe stat drawing is mine, though. I think it was wired wrong before, as he followed the Torrent wiring plan but that pipe stat was meant to be placed on the return flow from the stove, if I'm not mistaken. I know it has to be wired in series from the programmer, and I think it's C + 2 to open at temp? It's still a secondary issue, though.

6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - exactly what is it that trips?

7. Flange

Flange EF Member

I think it was the front ring (my house is wired in quarters) when I switched the programmer from off to timed. The control panel is wired to a fused spur.

8. Flange

Flange EF Member

If this helps....

Attached Files:

9. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

flange ,take all the tails out and start again ,start with wiring plan and start putting the tails one by one ,it could be no simpler .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - ok, was it an RCD trip, an MCB trip or a fuse blow? Then which circuit is it on? Then does it happen twice (say).

11. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Hi,a bit more of a description of the layout,would help. How is the gravity/pumped sections arranged? What other electrical items are on the same power circuit(s)?

It is perfectly possible,if it worked previously,that an individual component,has an issue. This would need tracing,using standard tactics.

Even when viewing cables,in a wiring junction box,is no use,if we don't know how and why they connect,at the other end;)
    Just banking that they do...is fatal,in the fault finding job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. marconi

marconi Respected Member

I am with PEG - need much better description and diagram of the plumbing system and how you want it to work and be controlled. Some pictures always help add clarity to explanations.

13. Flange

Flange EF Member

Gravity water from woodburner downstairs to thermal store upstairs. Pump on rads coming from store.
    Fused spur supplying feed to control panel only upstairs.
    Has my first post, with the diagrams, disappeared?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. Flange

Flange EF Member

Have my wiring plan posts disappeared? I can still see them...

15. marconi

marconi Respected Member

I am with PEG - need much better description and diagram of the plumbing system and how you want it to work and be controlled. Some pictures always help add clarity to explanations.

No, your wiring plans have not disappeared....