Discuss Thermostat change - advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I currently have a manual thermostat (Picture 1) and I wanna fix a digital one.
The letter on the wires are different and I am not sure how to connect the new one properly.
Any advice?

Thank you

Thermostat change - advice Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 18.27.04 - EletriciansForums.net

Thermostat change - advice Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 18.27.11 - EletriciansForums.net

Two wires, on the existing stat com and N/O. Connect to the two terminals on the new stat either way round. Safely terminate any other wires in a connector and connect the earth to the earth terminal on the new stat which will just be a 'parking terminal'.

if you can't fix it with a hammer, call a spark.

What stat do you have currently and what do you want to replace it with? I assume both low voltage on off types.

Buzz is still upset as Woody got off with Cow Girl........

What stat do you have currently and what do you want to replace it with? I assume both low voltage on off types.

Buzz is still upset as Woody got off with Cow Girl........
it's OK she binned woody when she found a knot in his john thomas,

This is a regular topic,and can never be anything but contentious...

It is only two wires,and a simple job...but there are things you either have to point out,or hope are done.

Heaven forbid,an accident occurs,even a fatal one,i will guarantee what the coroner will want to see.
He will want to see what training or advice,the deceased had,and will have access to all history,phone,internet,medical...

He may even read out transcripts,from a forum,say...

At least now,it looks like a lad from Manchester,cared ;)

To me, it looks like you only have the switch wire there, live in and live out. Most people don’t realise you also need a neutral for most stats to work properly. Looking at your new unit, it looks like the wiring diagram is showing you need a live and neutral for it to work, I could be wrong though. If it’s just a switch wire required. You need to find out witch one is the feed. And to do that you will need to turn the power on and test witch one becomes live. That would be your “In” and the dead cable would be your “out”. But with most digital or RF stats, it doesn’t matter witch way round they go. One thing you do need to know, if it’s digital, what’s going to power the stat up? Does it run on batteries? Is it wireless? If not then you will need a 3 core cable running in for it.

Disclaimer: This is only advice, I highly recommend you seek a “competent person” ie, Electrician to undertake works, and hold no responseabilaty for injury or death caused by messing with stuff you don’t know about. :tearsofjoy:

To me, it looks like you only have the switch wire there, live in and live out. Most people don’t realise you also need a neutral for most stats to work properly. Looking at your new unit, it looks like the wiring diagram is showing you need a live and neutral for it to work,
The wiring diagram on the stat shows a neutral to the load and only a switch pair connected to the stat.

It is only two wires,and a simple job...but there are things you either have to point out,or hope are done.

Heaven forbid,an accident occurs,even a fatal one,i will guarantee what the coroner will want to see.
He will want to see what training or advice,the deceased had,and will have access to all history,phone,internet,medical...

The guy asked only the configuration of the connections which I gave him. He has not asked for any information on safe practices and therefore has not been given any, safety is nobodies responsibility but his own. The wiring connections of a simple thermostat are not top secret information available only to qualified electricians, they are supplied with the stat and are available from the manufacturer of the stat, their tech dept would have told him the same as I have.
Most of those criticizing advise on simple electrical jobs given to DIY'ers will at some point in their lives have saved a few quid by changing the brakes or other safety related parts on their vehicles.
Right now on a mechanics forum near you they are moaning about advise given to DIY'ers with the associated safety implications.
The words pot,kettle and black spring to mind when it comes to electricians.

The guy asked only the configuration of the connections which I gave him. He has not asked for any information on safe practices and therefore has not been given any, safety is nobodies responsibility but his own. The wiring connections of a simple thermostat are not top secret information available only to qualified electricians, they are supplied with the stat and are available from the manufacturer of the stat, their tech dept would have told him the same as I have.
Most of those criticizing advise on simple electrical jobs given to DIY'ers will at some point in their lives have saved a few quid by changing the brakes or other safety related parts on their vehicles.
Right now on a mechanics forum near you they are moaning about advise given to DIY'ers with the associated safety implications.
The words pot,kettle and black spring to mind when it comes to electricians.
Well I hope the advise I’ve given him helps. As I’m sure your awear, there could be a possibility he could damage his new digital stat if the wiring is incorrect.

Ha ha ha - This forum makes me howl. Of course he would go through all his social media to check who told him how to wire up a thermostat and then take them to court for manslaughter, not. Jesus. Just because someone tells you how something can be done, it doesn't make you liable for their death.

If the OP said I want to do a parachute jump and you said yes its great fun, go on and do it, would you be liable if he forgot to pull the cord and hit the ground and died. Had he been trained in parachute jumping? Who knows?

Ha ha ha - This forum makes me howl. Of course he would go through all his social media to check who told him how to wire up a thermostat and then take them to court for manslaughter, not. Jesus. Just because someone tells you how something can be done, it doesn't make you liable for their death.

If the OP said I want to do a parachute jump and you said yes its great fun, go on and do it, would you be liable if he forgot to pull the cord and hit the ground and died. Had he been trained in parachute jumping? Who knows?

My intention was not to make you howl,it was just a comment,on how seemingly innocent advice,could,lead someone without experience,to get in to trouble. Nothing more.

Your knowledge of what a coroner can,and does do,in these instances,is lacking. As for what i suggested could happen,he will,and he does,and i have been there and watched it.

I do not know where the court reference emerges from,as a coroners enquiry is a completely separate entity.

Your parachute analogy seems a tad misplaced,but was quite funny,hence my imogee :)

Reply to Thermostat change - advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock